• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscess in gum

Judythecat

Judythecat

Can anyone help, please?

My partner had several fillings done a month or so ago. The dentist said one was large, and close to the nerve (lower molar). He was in a lot of pain afterwards, and after a fortnight it was still very sore, so he went back - the dentist said the tooth now needed a root canal, which he booked for a fortnight’s time, and paid upfront for (that’s the policy at his surgery). Then between appointments, the tooth settled, and he rang and cancelled the root canal. I told him this was daft, he should at least get it looked at, especially since it was paid for, but hey ho.

At the weekend he started complaining his gum round the tooth was tender, and tonight has announced he had an abscess in the gum, he has popped it (with his fingers!) and it will all be fine now. I am completely horrified. He is not scared of the dentist, but doesn’t like anything “medical”, plus it’s awkward with work. This isn’t just going to go away, is it?

Assuming it does actually need the root canal, has he lost the money he paid? (NHS surgery, in Scotland.) The cost isn’t an issue, btw, I am just cross at him, and also concerned. I sometimes get a bit of inflammation round my upper wisdom tooth during my period, so have given him the Corsodyl I keep for that in the interim.

(Also curious - are men generally more reluctant to go to the dentist than women? He is exactly the same with the GP even for routine appointments.)

Hi Judy
As my recent experience can attest, the gum abcess is likely to reappear without having the suggested root canal. The source of the infection needs to be treated. I can also say without any doubt that a root canal treatment, although a long procedure, is far more preferable than a recurring infection. Try and save the tooth with a root canal is my advise and I wouldn't imagine he has lost his money and would be able to rebook.

I think some people are just willing to run the gauntlet with health things (if its not broken, don't fix it?) and wait until something really obvious pops up - although a gum abcess is a fairly clear warning isn't it :)

Warm saltwater rinses will draw the infection to the surface of the gum, it may keep producing an abcess until the tooth is treated.

Hi Sally, that's exactly what I thought. I will try and persuade him to ring the dentist and re-book the root canal. We're away over summer and I really don't want it being an issue while we're out of town!

How are you getting on? Hope everything's going well after your recent troubles?

Hi Sally, that's exactly what I thought. I will try and persuade him to ring the dentist and re-book the root canal. We're away over summer and I really don't want it being an issue while we're out of town!

How are you getting on? Hope everything's going well after your recent troubles?
Getting on ok thanks, things healing after my two extractions. I have a check up in a month and hope nothing too major needs doing. It’s been nice to have a break from dental work

Good luck sorting the situation with your partner ?

Just a thought Judy that your husband might be more apprehensive than he is letting on. Perhaps he'd be better switching to your practice especially for a root canal and if it's a molar tooth maybe even better to see an endodontist like you did.
Re getting his upfront payment back from an NHS dentist, I would assume he is entitled to a refund provided he cancelled with sufficient notice (usually 24 hours).

Just a thought Judy that your husband might be more apprehensive than he is letting on. Perhaps he'd be better switching to your practice especially for a root canal and if it's a molar tooth maybe even better to see an endodontist like you did.
Re getting his upfront payment back from an NHS dentist, I would assume he is entitled to a refund provided he cancelled with sufficient notice (usually 24 hours).

Hi Brit! Honestly, I think he is fine. He sees medical stuff as a routine inconvenience. He had major surgery on his back a few years ago and was totally non-plussed - he just hates having to take time out of his day to go! Now there is no pain he is even less inclined, but he has absolutely promised he will get it sorted before we go away next month.

I did wonder if he would be better with an endodontist, but his dentist seems very confident. Mine was concerned that my tooth had long, twisted roots and was close to my sinus cavity, but willing to have a go and refer if she wasn’t able to do it justice. I figured it was less stressful to go straight to the endodontist. (Even though it was 10 x more £!) My surgery is a bit out of town - they moved from the city centre a few years ago - whereas his is ten minutes walk away from our front door, so he is reluctant to switch to my dentist because of that. My dentist is amazing and should pay me commission for all the people I send her way, most of whom have to pay privately!

Oh, and he cancelled on the Thursday for the following Monday, so loads of notice.

Getting on ok thanks, things healing after my two extractions. I have a check up in a month and hope nothing too major needs doing. It’s been nice to have a break from dental work

Good luck sorting the situation with your partner ?

Really pleased you are recovering well. Long may it continue!

Back