• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

advice on needing a tooth out

S

sam123

HelloI visited my dentist today for a general check up. He was a new dentist and took xrays of my teeth to begin with. He then did a general check of my teeth and said that they all looked fine. He then said he will have a look at my xrays. He then said "oh, hold on you have a hole in one of your top teeth!" To which i felt very worried/scared due to the way he just blurted it out like that! He showed me the xray and i could see what looked like a white mark on the tooth. The tooth looks fine and causes me no pain or discomfort. I am a little unsure and feel that to have the tooth completely removed seems a bit extreme (especially as it doesnt cause me any pain etc) I would rather not have the tooth out as I have worn a brace for years and have had it off for just over a year. I am happy with my teeth now as they took many years to get straight. Having the tooth out worries me as I am very concerned that my teeth with move given the extra gap left when the tooth comes out. I still wear a retainer during the night. I would really appreciate any advice as to what to do next. many thanks!

Hi and welcome

I am not reading anything here that suggests the dentist is saying the tooth has to be removed - it may be a slight discoloration - I am not a dentist, but this certainly doesn't sound like a case for removal of the tooth - can you contact your dentist to get some clarification - this will put your mind at rest :)

Hi sam, agree with Kim - did your new dentist say that the tooth should be removed? And if so, why?

thank you both for replying :) at first he said that he might be able to sort the tooth with a filling but was pretty sure he would have to take it out. I have the appointment in three weeks time and I am really worried about the whole situation. I am thinking about going to another dentist for a second opinion. I dont understand why the tooth would need to come out if it gives me no trouble at all and doesnt look any different than my other teeth to look at. But, of course I am not a dentist! :(

Hi Sam,

I am sorry that you are having all this worry. It is certainly the case that you can have a tooth which is extremely rotten on the inside but looks normal from the outside. If you are having no pain then it hard to motivate oneself to have treatment. The problem is, is that eventually you will get toothache and it might come on suddenly and at a very inconvenient time (called sod's law I think!).
It will do no harm to get a second opinion. It will reassure you that you are taking the correct course of action when you have treatment.

Best of luck

Lincoln

Hi Sam,

I am sorry that you are having all this worry. It is certainly the case that you can have a tooth which is extremely rotten on the inside but looks normal from the outside. If you are having no pain then it hard to motivate oneself to have treatment. The problem is, is that eventually you will get toothache and it might come on suddenly and at a very inconvenient time (called sod's law I think!).
It will do no harm to get a second opinion. It will reassure you that you are taking the correct course of action when you have treatment.

Best of luck

Lincoln

thanks lincoln. Ive never had anything wrong with my teeth before like this so its all a bit scary! if it wasnt for the worry of the layout of my teeth moving again (if i end up having it out) the situation wouldnt bother me as much. Its just the fact that Ive had orthodontist treatment for years and he was amazing getting my teeth straight. I just worry thats all going to be ruined if i have this tooth out as ther will be space for them to move around etc :(

Back