• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Advise / Opinions Please :)

M

motox1king

Hi Guy's,

Approximately 3 months a go I went to my routine check up with no tooth complaints. My dentist advised I needed a filling replaced as it had a crack in it. I went ahead & had the filling replaced.

The following day the tooth became sensitive, the sensitivity was on the outside of the tooth, not from underneath. If you put you finger over the side of the tooth & blew air on it there was no pain, take finger off & was like electric shock.

Over the next few weeks we went through a process of having the tooth/bite reshaped. Nothing seemed to make a difference. Eventually my dentist removed the filling & 'dressed' the tooth leaving it to rest for 2 weeks with a temporary filling.

The sensitivity at this point was the same. He replaced the filling with the hope things would settle down.

Over the next couple of weeks I began to experience an increasing amount of referred pain. The sensitively on the side had gone, but It was replaced by intense bouts of pain, the tooth could not be used or have pressure applied. In general the whole side of my mouth was a wave of irritation where intense pain came & went.

I went back & he took another x-ray. Now I'm being told my tooth for a reason completely unbeknown to him has died! The x ray shows a slight darkening right up into the gum.

Now here's the thing, I was given a few days of penicillin to take, after 3 days of penicillin I feel way better. Pretty much back to normal. For the first time in weeks I am not uncomfortable.

My dentist however thinks I need a root canal as the tooth has died.

Is there a chance my pain was an infection which the anti biotic's have resolved ? Could he be wrong about the tooth being dead ? Is there a way to test it ?

I'm private and the total bill if I go ahead with the root work will amount to over £500, so would be nice avoid this if possible.

Thanks in advance for any info / help :)

Could you go for s second opinion somewhere?

Hi,

If the tooth is indeed for a root canal treatment, antibiotics can improve the symptoms (not always though, depends on the situation) but it will not deal with the source of the infection: bacteria that sits in the canal of the root.
If the tooth is for a root canal treatment, you should feel some small sensitivity when applying pressure on the tooth even after taking the antibiotics.

Hi,

If the tooth is indeed for a root canal treatment, antibiotics can improve the symptoms (not always though, depends on the situation) but it will not deal with the source of the infection: bacteria that sits in the canal of the root.
If the tooth is for a root canal treatment, you should feel some small sensitivity when applying pressure on the tooth even after taking the antibiotics.

Hi thanks for the info.

I have not taken the anti biotics for 4 days now & my tooth feels fine. I have small sensations it I apply pressure but I wouldn't say it's painful.

I did get a second opinion from another dentist who want's to see my x rays. They didn't want to give me another xray as it's unnecessary exposure.

Apparently the anti biotics could hide the issue for 6 months I've been told ?

I have small sensations it I apply pressure but I wouldn't say it's painful.
Sounds like it is for a root canal treatment.

Apparently the anti biotics could hide the issue for 6 months I've been told ?

Could be shorter, could be longer. It depends on many factors, mainly your general health.

Back