• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Advise Please On Cracked Tooth - Getting Myself Pretty Worked Up

S

spicyporkchop

So firstly id like to say, I never used to be afraid of the dentist. It just something that happened after a painful filling which has escalated over time and now I think/worry about my teeth an unhealthy portion of my day! As embarrassing as that is to write!

I had a filling about 15 yrs ago in one of my top left molars (the filling that gave me my fear). That tooth started to hurt last November and after 2/3 visits to my NHS dentist they insisted they could see nothing. I then went to see a private dentist who was recommended on this site and he immediately saw that the problem. I had 3 cracks in the tooth, probably caused by the filling being old and weakening the tooth. We discussed options and we have decided to have it removed. It will need to be done by an oral surgeon and im just waiting for the appt which apparently will take between 6-8 wks!

My question (and fear) is that sometimes i get the pain in the teeth around it, sometimes even spreading to my front tooth and up into my cheek bone/nose. Is this normal? I know he has visibly seen the cracks so i trust him but could i also have cracks in other teeth too?
The pain also resembles a stinging in-between the cracked tooth and the one next to it....could there be another underlying problem or maybe just referred pain??
p.s - x-rays show no decay at present.

Please Advise as getting myself really upset
Many Many Thanks

So firstly id like to say, I never used to be afraid of the dentist. It just something that happened after a painful filling which has escalated over time and now I think/worry about my teeth an unhealthy portion of my day! As embarrassing as that is to write!

I had a filling about 15 yrs ago in one of my top left molars (the filling that gave me my fear). That tooth started to hurt last November and after 2/3 visits to my NHS dentist they insisted they could see nothing. I then went to see a private dentist who was recommended on this site and he immediately saw that the problem. I had 3 cracks in the tooth, probably caused by the filling being old and weakening the tooth. We discussed options and we have decided to have it removed. It will need to be done by an oral surgeon and im just waiting for the appt which apparently will take between 6-8 wks!

My question (and fear) is that sometimes i get the pain in the teeth around it, sometimes even spreading to my front tooth and up into my cheek bone/nose. Is this normal? I know he has visibly seen the cracks so i trust him but could i also have cracks in other teeth too?
The pain also resembles a stinging in-between the cracked tooth and the one next to it....could there be another underlying problem or maybe just referred pain??
p.s - x-rays show no decay at present.

Please Advise as getting myself really upset
Many Many Thanks

well there is always a possibility that this tooth is not the entire cause of all your pain and that you may have other teeth with issues as well, but if nothing is showing as wrong with them then it is likely referred pain. I had pain all the way from my ear to my chin before I got rid of my tooth, and most times all of my teeth on that side hurt.

A bad tooth can light your whole jaw up. I had a tooth that needed a root canal, and it felt like my whole lower jaw was infected-- I felt throbbing and dull pain and sometimes like someone was pushing real hard on my other teeth. And lots of other really bad, sharp electric pains that would shoot through at random times.

Got that tooth treated, and all of it went away. Immediately. I couldn't believe how much better I felt so quickly.

Your dentist probably would have seen if there were other problems from the x-ray. No way for you to tell until it's out, but I wouldn't be too concerned about pain in the area being anything other than referred pain.

A bad tooth can light your whole jaw up. I had a tooth that needed a root canal, and it felt like my whole lower jaw was infected-- I felt throbbing and dull pain and sometimes like someone was pushing real hard on my other teeth. And lots of other really bad, sharp electric pains that would shoot through at random times.

Got that tooth treated, and all of it went away. Immediately. I couldn't believe how much better I felt so quickly.

Your dentist probably would have seen if there were other problems from the x-ray. No way for you to tell until it's out, but I wouldn't be too concerned about pain in the area being anything other than referred pain.

Do you think it's possible to get reffered pain in the tooth directly below the cracked tooth?:confused:
Also Thank You for your reply - I dont mean to worry so much but i cant help it

Last edited:
Hi,

Surely the best thing you can do is to go to your dentist. No one can diagnose the reason to your complain without examining you.
Generally speaking, after a tooth extraction there is usually some light gum recession at the neighboring teeth, which can lead to sensitivity to extreme cold/sweat and it should be easy to treat.

Do you think it's possible to get reffered pain in the tooth directly below the cracked tooth?:confused:
Also Thank You for your reply - I dont mean to worry so much but i cant help it

yes you absolutely can have referred pain in a tooth directly above or directly below a bad tooth.

Back