• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

All teeth removed, one visit or many visits preferred?

  • Thread starter Thread starter postie2096
  • Start date Start date
P

postie2096

Junior member
Joined
Sep 25, 2016
Messages
3
Location
Yorkshire, UK
If you have a fear of dental work and have been told that you need to have your remaining teeth all removed and dentures fitted, is it best to have all the teeth removed on one visit or over 3 to 4 different visits? I'm not sure if they can all be removed in one go but is it better to just endure one visit or many visits and hopefully less pain each time?

I managed to get myself for a check up after many years (even check ups make me frightened) and was told I'd need all teeth removed and left the dentist feeling very down and most of what he told me was instantly forgotten as I just wanted to get out of there and basically escape.

Is it better to have all teeth removed in one visit if possible or 3 to 4 visits? If all teeth are removed how do you manage with no teeth before dentures are eventually fitted? The more I read around forums and websites, the more anxious and depressed I feel :cry:
 
I had my remaining 11 teeth extracted all at once. I had already had the rest of my teeth extracted through out the previous years.From what I've read some people get one side done first then the other side , then lastly, the front teeth. I guess it depends on how many teeth need extracting.I got immediate dentures but alot of people wait for dentures until their gums have healed. You will have to eat soft foods for awhile . Ice cream, soup, mashed potatoes until your gums heal. It will be okay. :)
 
I've found that most patients with dental anxiety do better if they get them all out at the same time. Just from an anxiety standpoint there's a lot to be said for knowing that you only have to make it through a single difficult appointment instead of several.

I'd recommend that you have your dentist make a temporary set of dentures that they put in the day your teeth are taken out. You should wear those for about 6 months before they make a permanent set. That will give your gums plenty of time to heal and also give you something to chew with in the meantime. Some people only have the first set made (immediate dentures). Immediate dentures can be a bit more challenging because they usually don't fit as well and your dentist and dental lab can only make an educated guess as to where the teeth should go.
 
Back
Top