• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Another newbie, scared stiff

C

Callida

Hi All

I'm so pleased to have found this forum and know I'm not alone. I've been terrified of the dentist for as long as I can remember. I have soft tooth enamel which runs in my mother's side of the family, so I ALWAYS have to have work done, and I also have very sensitive teeth.

At once stage I went about 10 years without going to the dentist, and predictably it was awful when I finally did go, and I decided I'd go regularly from then on. I've managed to do that for the past few years, but the last time was really bad again. I had to have a lot of work done, it was very expensive, and the dentist kept having to top up the anaesthetic because with all the drilling he had to do, the pain kept radiating up to higher and higher nerves (at least that's how he explained it, but anyway I kept feeling it). After that experience I've been ignoring my reminder letters and phone calls. I know that's not the right way to go and I'm starting to get pain in my teeth and can see patches of decay, but just the thought of making an appointment brings me out in a cold sweat.

I trust my dentist but my sensitive teeth mean I experience pain even during routine cleaning with the sprays of cold air. The drill scares me silly (though funnily enough the needle doesn't worry me). I know I'm going to have to do it, but if I'm like this just thinking about it, I'm going to be shaking mess when I actually get there. Any support or suggestions very much appreciated.

Callida

:welcome: Callida!

We're glad that you found us, too.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having such trouble. It's great that you have a dentist you like and trust. That's HUGE!

My advice would be to schedule an appointment to go in and talk to your dentist and let them have a look. It's possible that you don't need as much work done as you think. However, if you do need a lot of work, there may be other options that you and your dentist did no previously consider. I'm not usually a big advocate of sedation dentistry, but it may be a good option for you.

My main piece of advice to you is to communicate with your dentist. Tell him about your fears and about your previous experience. Ask about different options for dealing with your sensitivities. Also, ask about ways to deal with discomfort during procedures.

I'm sure other members of the forum will have other suggestions.

Don't give up and remember, you're not alone.

Hello There.

I suggest you book an appointment right away. If the sensitive teeth are hurting you on a daily basis, then book as an emergency. Talk to him/her and explain that your teeth are very sensitive and hurt during cleanings. If its one or two teeth that are sensitive, they might suggest a filling to fill a hole and therefore the cold wont reach inside your tooth and irritate you. So just book an appointment and explain your situation. They will probably have a variety of options.

Best Wishes - PinkFruit :p