• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Antibiotics infection & extraction

Mine still isn't filled in all the way yet, but it isn't as bad as it was. It will get better. I clench my teeth at night when I am stressed, which I have been for almost a year with all the dental stuff. Like SallyUK said, there are signs such as your jaw hurting or misaligned. For me my other molars hurt when I have been clenching since my bite is off. My jaw joint will ache as well.
I guess it takes awhile to fill in all the way? Yea I know what you mean about the stress. I’ve had a few stressful years health wise so maybe I do

And come to think of it I have woke up with jaw aches on occasion ?

1) Maybe. If it was already root treated, getting adequate drainage might be a challenge. Hard to say without seeing.
2) I think that's bull excrement about LA not working with acute infection frankly, usually a second injection will deal with it. I think I've only encountered the issue about five times in over 30 years and even then I think the patient was so up tight with their days of pain and lack of sleep that they were just super sensitive.
3) Yes, the emergency dentist needs to work on their record keeping.

@Gordon hi. Quick question. This tooth has flared over the weekend. I don’t know if it’s a gum or root abcess. Soft swelling on cheek side gumline, burst and draining pus, yuk. Radiating pricking type of pain, throbbing but not massively. Swelling down considerably, doing salt rinses. I have appt first thing tomorrow for canine extraction and one three weeks later for this upper molar to be extracted.

Is it possible the dentist will do both? You said that infection doesn’t usually prevent anaesthetic. I really don’t want more antibiotics or this to get worse or both teeth out tomorrow (if that’s even possible) is it possible a dental cleaning last weds irritated a pocket and it will calm long enough to stick to plan to extract in a few weeks. It’s just the tooth root, no crown, temp filling, no previous root canal. I’m terrified of treatment but now at point of really needing resolution and hopefully extraction would do that !

@Gordon hi. No need to respond to above. I had the back molar removed this morning. Dentist said usually antibiotics will keep things quite for a while and no problem ti extract with infection. Rather that than let this cycle go on.

It came out in less than a minute! Quite a shock to me and him! At home numb but relieved. Sad to loose another tooth but not an infected one that would have been questionable to work on any further.

I am glad you got it out! Did the dentist extract the canine also?

I am glad you got it out! Did the dentist extract the canine also?
Not today, I have another appointment in a months time. i was confused, I thought the canine was today but it wasn't and I guess it was good timing with the molar showing acute infection over the weekend. I feel a bit rough, taking it easy for rest of the day.

Not today, I have another appointment in a months time. i was confused, I thought the canine was today but it wasn't and I guess it was good timing with the molar showing acute infection over the weekend. I feel a bit rough, taking it easy for rest of the day.
Good idea. Molar extractions are hard on you. Heal well!

Wow. Sally UK, under a minute! great it came out easily! I hope you have good smooth and quick healing!!

Back