• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxiety high since Covid

• Thread starter Monarchandthemilkweed
  • Start date
M

Monarchandthemilkweed

I missed my regular check up in May due to the Covid closures. I need to make appointments for me and my family. And my dental anxiety is back to where it was previously.

throughout my life I have gone to the dentist then stopped for a period of time. Then gone back. One time
I hadn’t gone in like 12 years. Went back. No cavities. Then stopped going again for a few years when I had my last baby and PPD. Finally went back and ebded up with 10 cavities. Since that happened I was going every six months. I got all the work done. Then covid happened and I feel like I’m starting all over dealing with this dental anxiety.
My first goal is to the get the kids back. I feel bad they missed their appointments but the office was closed. And when they re opened I didn’t rush to make the appointments. Same with me.
Anyone else struggling since Covid?

Don’t stress too much about it. I know probably easier said then done. If the office was closed, no need to worry about not going, it wasn’t your fault. Remember that it’s normal that things got in the way, but do your best to get back in your usual dental routine.

Well, I don’t think a global pandemic is conducive to mental peace for anyone, really.

Anyways, it’s not really your fault for not scheduling appointments. Things happen which are sometimes out of everyone’s control, maybe we should be less harsh with ourselves over it. COVID may have given you a lot of time to ruminate over your teeth and stuff but I think it’s quite important not to let it overwhelm you. Just make an appointment as soon as possible (a very big accomplishment for anyone with dental anxiety) and try to give less attention to the stressors in the meantime.

Strangely enough this pandemic is what caused me to become anxious... I haven’t ever went to the dentist before, one day thought I should once it was all over, took a look in the mirror and started quaking in fear over what procedures I’d need, who’d I meet, and would it be the worst thing they’d ever seen? It’s improved ever since I scheduled an appointment, but sometimes returns, and when it does I attempt to distract myself. It’s not a foolproof technique, but it does help with diluting the fear. This may sound platitudinous but try to make a habit of breathing deeply with your stomach, it’ll help with reducing stress and anxiety because it supresses the part of the nervous system associated with the two.

By missing my May appointment and getting one soon that means it’s been a year since me and the kids have been to the dentist. I’m worried we will have cavities. Which I know as I type this out that is not a big deal. Sometimes the hardest part for me is hearing that there’s decay. And I even reason with myself that no one likes to be told bad news.
for me the other aspect of this is is the relentlessness of my anxiety. It gets better When I get into a habit of going and things are welll with my teeth. Then something happens either a pause in me going to the dentist or something like a root canal or broken tooth and my anxiety sky rockets. I just hate it.

Sorry to hear you are worried aboout missing an appointment due to covid19, not your fault.

Hope you can get an appointment soon for you and your kids

Hi Monarchandthemilkweed,

sounds like the experience of having 10 cavities was what firstly got you into going every six months religiously (I suspect in order not to have it happen again) and made you worry about cavities. The six-months check-up helps you with the anxiety becuse you know if you have regular checkups, there won't becavities.. and now as covid makes you unable to go, you are worried about cavities again, because you are not able to get your reassurance, did I get you right?

I think the important thing is to remember that having cavities or not having them is not really dependent on whether you went to see a dentist every 6 months or not. It's more about what you eat and your home care. The dentist doesn't prevent your cavities, they only check and tell you whether there are any or not. So before starting to worry too much, remember that if your teeth are fine after 6 months, it is very likely they will be fine after few months more too.

Covid makes everyone struggle with mental health. The people who struggled already struggle even more now and the people who haven't struggled at all struggle at least somewhat.. not to speak about dental anxiety.. I hate not being able to see my dentist too.

For the mean time, here is an article about how to prevent tooth decay, if you are wondering what can make teeth to get decay. Keeping my fingers crossed for you to get an appointment as soon as possible. Reading about how you got back on track even after years of not going, I am very confident that you will get back successfully again.

All the best wishes and keep us posted :grouphug:

Last edited:
Oh yeah, thanks for the note. I could say yeah, it didn‘t link correctly, the truht is that I just sent it and forgot to add it altogether :rolleyes: it‘s added now and yeah, it‘s the one you found:)

Enarete
Yes you’ve got it exactly right. I was so shook by the 10 cavities because once I went 12 years with no cavities.
so fearful for me and my kids. But I know I got through the treatments before. It wasn’t pleasant but it wasn’t awful either.
so my husband called and we all have appointments early JANUARY. That was their first available. This is unusual for my office and must be from Covid back ups.
I just ordered electric toothbrushes for everyone in the meantime.
i find that article about waiting to eat 3-4 hours fascinating. It’s definitely something I strive for. Since the 10 cavities debacle I’ve been so good about flossing and mouthwash. . Always good about brushing. So fingers crossed.
2/3 of my kids are teenagers and think they are invincible. I harp about oral care but in the end they are ultimately responsible for their own teeth at this age

I'm coming a bit late with a reply, have been busy with exams. January sounds crazy.. what a weird time right now. I still think that it is unlikely for you to have 10 cavities again, particularly now as you know what you know now. Many people are not aware that what / how we eat can have more impact on teeth than home care.

I am curious how you like the electric toothbrush! For me that was a game changer, my teeth are cleaner and I haven't got any cavities since I started using it years ago - as opposed to "they always find something whenever I go". I also feel there is a feelable difference after brushing with an electric one. This may help your teenagers too.. trying to make a teenager take care of their teeth.. not an easy task to do I would say!

Thank you Enarete! I LOVE the electric toothbrush. Wish I’d gotten one earlier. The whole family actually loves them. I do agree that it makes brushing easier and more fun. I am hoping that this is a game changer especially combined with my daily flossing (something I rarely did before Im
embarrassed to say).

That‘s great to read! No need to be embarrassed about not having flossed, I haven‘t either in the past.. the only thing that counts is the here and now.. :)

Late to the comments but Covid had definitely contributed to my anxiety, and situations stemming from it, esp the end of summer school bubble drama we went through that was awful and set of major anxiety for me over DDs teeth. My brain has decided they are discoloured/too yellow despite husband/SIL/a couple of friends saying they haven't noticed an issue. We have appointments tomorrow rescheduled from August. I'm convinced we've both for masses of cavities of course despite DD being fine in Feb and the dentist saying nothing when she had a quick look around when I had a broken tooth fixed in August. Anxiety loves to convince us of nonsense.

Back