• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

At least 1 cavity. Major anxiety.

T

therealriiver

So my dental habits haven't been great over the past few months. I go to regular dentist appointments (despite how anxious they make me), and usually I just get the same shtick over and over about how I need to brush better. I understand it, and usually for a few weeks I'll always try to get better, but then I fall back into the same rut as before and I suffer. However, I've never gotten a cavity.
Now, though, I know that I have to have at least one. It's in the pits and fissures of my back right molar. It doesn't seem bad, but I'm still flipping out. There's minor staining in some of the pits of my other molars/premolars, and it's scaring the hell out of me. It's not so much the procedure that scares me. I've heard plenty of stories that everything goes fine and I won't feel a thing, and I've had enough baby teeth pulled to not be scared of needles anymore. However, there's one hygienist at the office I go to that seems to get more and more exasperated with me each time I go in and she sees the same stuff. There's a male hygienist there that doesn't know me as well and is much nicer, so if I see him then I won't have a problem. The issue is mostly what my mom will think. I'm terrified of what she'll say to me, what my dad will say about the cost of fillings, and whether or not I will actually need more than one filling. I'm scared of being told the news of how many cavities I have.
My appointment is set for this coming Tuesday. To be completely honest, I'm scared shitless. I've had multiple panic attacks already and I'm sort of in the process of one right now. I don't see anyone for mental help, my mom doesn't know about my fear, and that anxiety also carries over to talking to the hygienists, so I probably won't be able to get the words out to them that I'm scared. I just feel so ridiculous and stupid for not keeping up with brushing my teeth the right way and I wish I could just skip this appointment but I can't.

'However, there's one hygienist at the office I go to that seems to get more and more exasperated with me each time I go in and she sees the same stuff. There's a male hygienist there that doesn't know me as well and is much nicer, so if I see him then I won't have a problem. The issue is mostly what my mom will think. I'm terrified of what she'll say to me, what my dad will say about the cost of fillings, and whether or not I will actually need more than one filling. I'm scared of being told the news of how many cavities I have."

Therealriiver,

Isn't this the worst.. yes..one one biggest fears is what someone will say and fearing we will be made to feel even worse than we already are. Shame is one of the biggest reasons why its so hard to go.. I encourage you if there is any way to ask for that male hygenist that makes you feel a bit more comfortable might be worth a call. Hows the dentist them self? Don't beat your self up and just try everyday to do your best and be honest with them and hopefully if this place does shame you you could find somewhere that doesn't in the future to give you encouragement to do your best!

I really hope your appt goes well!!

Sorry to hear about your situation and even more that you seem not to be able to talk about this with anyone in your family to get some support.
To your worry about the cavity. There is still a chance that it only looks like cavity to you but doesn't need a filling. Not everything that looks like a cavity for the patients is a cavity. So before you go crazy, just try to wait for the news, it might not be that bad.

I'm sorry to hear about the hygienist. Treating you unkindly and making you feel like she was exasperated with you is a no-no. I also understand how frustrating it is to take care of your teeth based on a command from an unpleasant person that you do not like. The most people start to take proper care of their teeth as soon as they find a kind caring dentist that supports them.
Would it be an idea to call the practice and ask which hygienist is going to treat you on Tuesday? Or maybe to even re-schedule to the male, if there is any chance? I understand that it's not easy to be picky, especially because your parents are involved in your dental care, but it would be the best thing you could do for your dental fear and your motivation to take proper care.

All the best wishes and let us know how you are doing

Back