• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bleeding after stitches taken out

J

Jemma89

I had a surgical extraction a week ago today, I’ve had the stitches out only an hour ago and it’s bleeding. I only thought to look because I kept tasting blood. Is this normal?? Dentist mentioned nothing at the time but I am really worried now.

Yeah it's fine, just a bit of oozing from the stitch holes probably. The good thing about your mouth is it is very richly supplied with blood vessels, so it heals quickly. The bad thing is that it bleeds easily :)

@Gordon thank you. Sorry to be annoying just another thing, I was put on antibiotics (amoxicillin and metronidazole) last Monday morning as I went in with increasing pain, mouth ulcers and lumps and bumps around the extraction area, the dentist said it looked ulcerated with some infection and possibly a dry socket developing. I was then unwell on the sofa until Wednesday. Thursday I felt like I was improving but since having the stitches out Thursday afternoon I’ve now developed loads of tiny white spots all over my mouth (the back mainly) I can’t count how many there’s so many, they appear to now be growing, my mouth is raw red, this is along side the continued ulcers around my lips and extraction area. Up until this morning I was continuing with the medication he prescribed as well as paracetamol and ibuprofen. This morning all I managed was the paracetamol, it’s now too painful to even attempt to swallow all the medication. I’ve stopped eating and I’ve having a sip of water when I need to as the pain of swallowing is unbearable. My question is just is all this normal after a surgical extraction and do I just grin and bare it and keep trying to sleep until it’s all over? I did ring the dental surgery yesterday afternoon to check about all these spots developing in my mouth and they said give it time it will all heal. They don’t know I’ve had to stop taking the medication as I can’t swallow it right now.

No it's not right. I'd be worried you may have picked up a candida infection from the wide range of antibiotics you were taking. Go back to the dentist ASAP.

@Jemma89 how are you now?

I am fully recovered now thank you.
After Gordon said about the Candida infection I mentioned it to my dentist again and he said to go in for him to have a look, turned out it was a Candida infection and he gave me a load of medication.
It took a good 3 weeks to recover, couldn’t eat or anything but thankfully all good thanks for asking.

Back