• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken Molar Surgical Extraction

M

missmeganleah

I'm 19 and I'm absolutely terrified of the Dentist. My Mum has had a fear for many years so never took me when I was younger, and I went for the first time in September 2016.
In January 2016, half of my second upper molar came out when I ate a chewy treacle toffee in work. However, it hasn't caused me any pain and still hasn't up to this date which is why I never went for anything done. But I know in the long run something would need to be done which is why I went to the Dentist in September 2016. I know it's 8 months late, but better late than never. I went into the dentist room in tears, but was very surprised to learn that I only needed a routine clean, one filling and a surgical extraction of the broken tooth. I had my filling done with tears in my eyes (and it really wasn't as bad as I first thought) and then went to the hospital for a consultation on my broken tooth.
The dentist I saw at the Hospital wasn't very reassuring, and frankly I couldn't understand a word he said to me. I'm going for the broken tooth extracted on Monday (16/01/17) at my local hospital with local anaesthetic and I'm absolutely terrified. I was wondering if anyone can put my mind at ease, half the tooth is broken at the gumline whilst the other half is still visible.
Has anyone had this done before?
Does it hurt?
How long will it take?
Am I getting myself worked up over nothing?
How is an extraction in Hospital?

Thanks so much in advance!
Meg x

I've had three teeth extracted recently that were all broken down to the gum line. A regular dentist did it and honestly they popped out in minutes. Why can't your regular dentist do it?

Oh wow really? And did it hurt at all? I've heard they have to cut and move some of your gum in order to get the tooth out. Another half of the toorh came out this evening when I was eating dinner ?
As for why my dentist can't do it, I really don't know, the consultant at the Hospital asked me the same thing. They told me having it out could paralyse me or something, I'm literally petrified ?

No pain whatsoever. My teeth that got extracted had been broken for years, so much so the gum had grown over most of one of them. The dentist didn't even need to cut the gum. I don't know how he did it but it was out in no more than 2 minutes. I think roots can be close to nerves and sinuses so maybe that's why your dentist referred you.

i had a surgical extraction done, it was supposed to be a regular extraction. if you are in any pain tell them and they can numb your mouth more. i was scared but i thought happy thoughts. wasnt that bad just alot of pulling and strange how my mouth was fully open . try not to worry it will pass once its over

tomorrow's the day and I can't stop shaking. I'm so glad things went well for you guys though. the hospital told me it'd take 20 minutes for it to come out which I thought was a long time!!

Back