• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can anybody give me advice on braces? Very anxious!

C

ChrystalRae

Hello everyone.
Thanks for taking the time to read/help me out.
I've started the process of getting braces. I chose to get traditional metal. I currently have spacers in. They aren't too bad. A little annoying at first. I'm 30 years old and female. I chose to do this for health reasons, not looks.
Everyday that passes I get closer to getting my top set on. The day I get the top set I also get a quad helix expander. I'm so afraid that I'm going to be in a lot of pain. I've been told by a few people that it doesn't hurt being put on but it does afterwards. The thought of being in pain is causing me so much anxiety that I can't sleep, eat, or focus on my job.
If you have some advice on the first days of braces or how bad they actually hurt, I'd love to hear it. I'm so stuck on the thought that I'll be in all this pain that I almost want to back out.

Hi there

So I have had mental braces before. I haven’t had the expander before so can’t help with that specifically, but, with the braces you’re right it didn’t hurt to have them put on and they were a little achy the first few days. I found just taking paracetamol helped with the discomfort. I wouldn’t say they were unbearably painful by any means. I expected worse too. I found just eating softer foods helped. Hope this is somewhat reassuring to you. Happy to answer any more

I had metal braces years ago and had to have a lot of work done with the braces as I had a small mouth. My daughter recently got braces for the second time (last time was lower only) as she has impacted teeth. I will say that the pain from braces is really no worse than a headache. It is annoying but controlled with tylenol. It is not enough to disrupt your day. My daughter goes back to school after having her braces tightened and taking some Tylenol.

Hey,

I had braces a few years ago, they were traditional metal braces and I was in my late twenties. I was really nervous about it but getting them put on was pretty easy, it didn't take very long - I chose to get coloured elastics which made the follow up appointments more enjoyable.

The first few days, it's very achy and it can be difficult to eat - stick to soup and pasta and things like that and maybe take a painkiller. It can be a big adjustment but you do get used to it, the first few days are the worst - but i'm not a fan of taking painkillers, so it was probably worse for me.

After adjustments, they can feel pretty achy for a few days but after a while, it's only for about a day or so.

It's totally bearable and it's worth it. I had braces for about three years and I would do it all again :) Please try not to be too worried about it

Hi there

So I have had mental braces before. I haven’t had the expander before so can’t help with that specifically, but, with the braces you’re right it didn’t hurt to have them put on and they were a little achy the first few days. I found just taking paracetamol helped with the discomfort. I wouldn’t say they were unbearably painful by any means. I expected worse too. I found just eating softer foods helped. Hope this is somewhat reassuring to you. Happy to answer any more

I forgot to add that I’m having braces again. So the first time didn’t put me off!

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm feeling a little more positive tourds them. I was so scared I was going to cancel the appointment at first ?. But I'm going to do it. I was trying to find something I could relate the pain level to. I found a dentist on Tiktok who has braces. She said the pain is exactly like a sore muscle. She said to imagine going for a run after not doing it in a long time. Your legs would be sore. She said that's the ache your mouth feels. So it doesnt seem like the pain I was thinking. I was expecting more of pins and needles than aching feeling. I think I can manage it if that's how it feels the first few days.
When I know I'm going to be putting myself into pain I get really afraid of the situation. Maybe doing all of this will help with my fear.

I had both braces and chicken pox as a teenager. I don't really remember the braces much, but I do remember the chicken pox, so the braces must have been no big deal. :)

Thank you everyone for your responses. I'm feeling a little more positive tourds them. I was so scared I was going to cancel the appointment at first ?. But I'm going to do it. I was trying to find something I could relate the pain level to. I found a dentist on Tiktok who has braces. She said the pain is exactly like a sore muscle. She said to imagine going for a run after not doing it in a long time. Your legs would be sore. She said that's the ache your mouth feels. So it doesnt seem like the pain I was thinking. I was expecting more of pins and needles than aching feeling. I think I can manage it if that's how it feels the first few days.
When I know I'm going to be putting myself into pain I get really afraid of the situation. Maybe doing all of this will help with my fear.

Hi. that sounds like a great analogy she had! I agree it was more of an ache then pain as such when I had mine too. I also find it so hard to commit to something that may cause pain if it’s not causing me pain already if that makes sense. I worry I won’t cope with it. But I coped with braces! Good luck fit your appointment

Hi. that sounds like a great analogy she had! I agree it was more of an ache then pain as such when I had mine too. I also find it so hard to commit to something that may cause pain if it’s not causing me pain already if that makes sense. I worry I won’t cope with it. But I coped with braces! Good luck fit your appointment
I'm glad that someone else that's had them thinks it is a good analogy. As far as time off from work, do you think the day of and day after will be enough? I was planning on taking 3 days off but hoping 2 days is fine. I know everyone manages differently tho. You have been the most helpful so far and I appreciate it so much. If all the kids I see with braces, and my dad, can to thru this, I can too!

I'm glad that someone else that's had them thinks it is a good analogy. As far as time off from work, do you think the day of and day after will be enough? I was planning on taking 3 days off but hoping 2 days is fine. I know everyone manages differently tho. You have been the most helpful so far and I appreciate it so much. If all the kids I see with braces, and my dad, can to thru this, I can too!

Hi again, yes is a good analogy indeed.

So I had my braces the first time at 14iah and I instantly went back to school after having them fitted (had yogurt and milkshake for lunch from the school canteen) and took no time off school or lessons. I think I just took some calpol. Each time they were tightened I also went back to school so it was not debilitating. But it does get some getting used to to be able to talk the first day and getting used to the brushing routine so you could use the time to get accustomed to them if you need.

You can get through this! Love the outlook.

Back