• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can bone grafts move around?

• Thread starter krlovesherkids777
  • Start date
krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay, it might sound a bit funny.. but.. I"m on my 3rd round of stiches and I thought maybe the stiches were lose however it seems the bone graft might be lose, when I just place my finger very gently on it , it moves back and forth like a whole chunk of it.. is this normal? I'm going to contact my dental office tomorrow and ask but if anyone knows before that.. I'm very curious about it..I'm slightly nervous about this moving.

3rd round of stiches?? I don't understand. What type of bone graft did you have? Was it particulate, or block?

He used part of my own bone combined with some bovine, put a membrane on it. first 2 rounds of stiches were PGO? then 3rd were silk. the silk actually held longer than the others its going on 2 1/2 weeks. but my whole graft is moving upon slight touch.

Also it was a ridge expansion in the front.

IT sounds like the surgical site opened up after the surgery. If this is true then there is a drop in prognosis. This can happen for several reasons while the top ones are trauma(chewing food in that area) and the other is lack of passive closure.
While adding thickness to a ridge I always dissect to achieve a more passive closure and I use NON-resorbable sutures. It is not usual to have swelling and bruising from this procedure.

Sounds worrying, especially after the last three weeks. I wished your stitches and the graft would just stay where they belong. Hope you can get in touch with your office soon.

Thanks @Enarete , Im going in a few minutes and will see what happens.. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: and @comfortdentist.. Thanks for the information!

Just saw this. I hope you get a good answer and it is nothing to worry about!

Hope you got some good answers! Sending you good vibes!

Thanks everyone! So I got just got back. I got my stiches out!! They were good to come off . I didn't need to be restiched. It wasn't my gum moving around it was my stiches. Phew. It was so weird it seemed like it was the gum. I'm really glad to be rid of these.

Such good news! Enjoy being stitch free for awhile!

Lol for at least a few weeks until I start step 2 :)

After a bone graft there is a risk of a problem for the first 2-3 weeks. After that period we need to wait to see what your body does with the graft. Depending on the individual circumstances we typically wait 4-6 months.

I am glad it wasn’t the bone graft moving around!

Very good information @comfortdentist ! Thanks for all your help!! Also @kitkat and @MountainMama Thanks for your encouragement. I am soo relieved. its a process and at times the anxiety comes back along the way.. Thankfully everytime I go in i'm more reassured .. phew.. :) now just having to wait for that healing and my gums to look a little more normal..

Back