• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can Numbing Gel numb me? Don't want Needle at all.

Re: Can Numbing Gel numb me? Don't want Needle at

You should not feel embarrassed or ashamed that it happened, but the dentist who did this to you should. Jenny will understand your fear and will be better able to help you with the experience.

This is the real reason, i've been asking about all this Numbing Gel, to replace Injections  :shame:

Fear of restraint is far greater than,fear of the Needle

There is no way in a million years she will restrain you against your will....could you tell her by email? All this means is that CONTROL over what happens is very important to you....your reaction is normal...has she discussed stop signals? I'm sure they will be offered anyway.

At the end of the day for just a clean, you may not need any local anaesthetic anyway so this could all be a waste of time....I have never had LA for cleans but would always opt for it, if advised for a filling.

Your shame/embarassment reaction is a typical one for someone with dental phobia....you are blaming yourself for sth which wasn't your fault...many people post the same thing but Freakout is right, it is not you who should be ashamed but the dentist and dental nurses...I'm sorry but at 15, if you are resisting they need to stop and discuss things and agree what to do (maybe nothing) with you....even back then you could have lodged a complaint about that treatment....it was hardly a life or death situation...their only possible defence I should think.

Would you feel happier if they promised you in writing that they would never restrain you against your will?

Issy said:
This is the real reason, i've been asking about all this Numbing Gel, to replace Injections  :shame:

Fear of restraint is far greater than,fear of the Needle

Yes but you could still 'according to your fear'...be restrained even just with numbing gel....fear of being restrained is to do with lack of trust in the practitioner that they would always treat you with respect and dignity.

Why don't you ask Gordon what he thinks...I think he knows Jenny?

I will send her an Email. I find it much easier,writing that sort of thing down. Rather than telling her face-face :shame:

I just need to see her tell me, that they won't do anything against my will.
And that i won't be forced into anything.

Issy - that's a great plan - I can promise you, you won't be the first person she's come across with this particular fear.
:grouphug:

Good idea to e-mail her. I'm happy to forward this thread to her if you'd find that easier though.

And there is no way on Earth that she'll restrain you during treatment.

Gordon said:
Good idea to e-mail her. I'm happy to forward this thread to her if you'd find that easier though.

And there is no way on Earth that she'll restrain you during treatment.
I'd rather email her - more personal & private. Thanks though  :)
I already written the email, now just gotta send it.

Also there's more stuff i've included in the email,that i haven't told anyone on this board.

I've just sent Jenny the Email. Although obviously she won't get it, till she's back from her holiday.

Glad you decided to get in touch with Jenny.It seems to me that the first step in finding a way around our dental problems is with communication.The dentist can't help if they don't know that a problem exists.i can sympathise with you because when i had my root canal the dentist said "you'll feel a little pressure now"Ha! call it what it is.....Pain.My dentist has assured me that he has his own special topical formula made just for him!I believe him too.So hang in there.Your problem can be solved with a little patience and creativity.Have you thought of hypnosis?I've heard this can work.Best to ya
PP

It's kinda a complicated problem,& i don't think Hynotherapy would help :(

but i've had hypnotherapy before & it worked great :)

At least you've tried hypnotherapy.Guess that's another phobia of mine.Watched too many tv shows where they show hypnotised people on stage acting like chickens and such... :drool:if it works as you say i might try it some time got a few other minor issues ....maybe for another forum or 2

puppypusher said:
At least you've tried hypnotherapy.Guess that's another phobia of mine.Watched too many tv shows where they show hypnotised people on stage acting like chickens and such... :drool:if it works as you say i might try it some time got a few other minor issues ....maybe for another forum or 2

I work as a hypnotherapist part time and I can assure you that a hypnotherapist can't make to do anything that you don't want to... neither can a stage hypnotist for that matter, despite how it may seem :).

The kind of person who volunteers to go on stage at a hypnosis show, is usually the type of person who enjoys having a laugh and doesn't mind acting like a chicken whether they're hypnotised or not. Being up on stage as one of the volunteers simply gives them an excuse to be even wilder/dafter than they normally would be because they have the perfect excuse afterwards... "I don't remember anything, I was hypnotised". Except that they do remember and the suggestion to 'forget' is sometimes included by the stage hypnotist to give the person an excuse and save them from embarrassment with their mates later on after the show ;).

It's a bit complicated to go into here, but in a nutshell, hypnotherapy is completely different to stage hypnosis. They both use hypnosis, but that's the only similarity.

Issy, from my own experience (seeing my own clients with various phobias and also my own dental phobia/fear problems), with the help of the right hypnotherapist you can start to change the way that you feel about the situation. There are also a variety of different approaches that can be used to help you to respond in a different way too... e.g being more relaxed and feeling more in control :).

But, you do also need to communicate with your dentist about your fears... be honest. It's much easier to help someone if you know what the problem is, otherwise you can only guess what might help. I found it very hard to talk about what happened in the past and what my fears are when I went to see my current dentist for the first time last year, particularly as it was the first time that I'd ever discussed things and tried to do anything about it (it took months of persuading from letsconnect before I finally plucked up the courage ;)). In the end though, it turned out to be the best thing all round and the sense of relief was huge.

You've taken another step by sending the email, good luck :thumbsup:.

Well,Jenny does know that i'm scared of Needles. Because i told her during my first Appointment.

But there is much so more to do with my Needle Anxiety. Most of it isn't really to do with needles ...

Had my first ever needle in my mouth yesterday, I was terrified.

Ive been convinced for the last 21 years that all dentists are the worst kind of sadists imaginable. but it wasn't bad at all, hardly felt anything,he put some pressure on the gum at the same time with his mirror, I could feel that more than the needle, it was definitely less painful than an arm injection and the needle itself was teeny weeny, much smaller than i imagined. My imagination can be a terrible thing sometimes as I think yours can.

The fear is far far far far worse than the needle itself. You know that.

What way do you think you could endure it?

B said:
Had my first ever needle in my mouth yesterday, I was terrified.

Ive been convinced for the last 21 years that all dentists are the worst kind of sadists imaginable. but it wasn't bad at all, hardly felt anything,he put some pressure on the gum at the same time with his mirror, I could feel that more than the needle, it was definitely less painful than an arm injection and the needle itself was teeny weeny, much smaller than i imagined. My imagination can be a terrible thing sometimes as I think yours can.

The fear is far far far far worse than the needle itself. You know that.

[highlight]What way do you think you could endure it?[/highlight]
By never having 1. I'm sure once i build up trust in Jenny,i'll find having a needle easier. But atm i don't trust anyone with a needle (from bad past experiences)

B said:
What way do you think you could endure it?

Issy doesn't really have to endure it...she's lucky enough to be seeing one of the minority of dentists in the UK who has The Wand! :jump:

Yay! I hope mine has a Wand :)

Sounds great :)

I hope mine does too.Just the sight of a needle going into my mouth conjures up a lot of bad old feelings. :scared:

puppypusher said:
I hope mine does too.Just the sight of a needle going into my mouth conjures up a lot of bad old feelings. :scared:
Yup i'm with u on that :censored: :scared:

I didn't even know Jenny had the Wand. Was pure luck, i booked an Appointment,& then found out she has the Wand.

But as some people on here know,the needle isn't really the route cause of my Injection Phobia ..