• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chemical Burn from Mouthwash

  • Thread starter Thread starter wanha
  • Start date Start date
W

wanha

Junior member
Joined
Jul 28, 2010
Messages
1
Hi everyone,

I'm extremely distraught right now. A day and a half ago I had a gum infection (a swollen lump on the gum) so I brushed it hard to open it up and swished mouthwash for a very long time. The good news is that the antibacterial action got rid of the gum infection. However, I completely overused the mouthwash! I used about 1/3 of a family sized bottle and swished it around for 30 minutes rather than 30 seconds and was NOT thinking straight as I was in severe pain from my gum infection. Now, I can barely taste anything after a day and a half! I put sugar on my tongue and tasted none of it. I looked at my tongue in the mirror and it is very rough with swollen taste buds I believe. I understand it is from the alcohol that chemically burned my tongue and I am extremely worried I will never have taste again! Can anyone advise me on what to do or how long I should wait to expect my taste again? Thanks everyone so much. It was Life Brand Fresh Mint Mouthwash that I used and I am extremely regretful right now.

Thanks.
 
things should return to normal gradually however a trip to your dentist or doctor might be a good idea
dr mike
 
Hey did you ever recover from this?
The same thing basically happened to me except it was from using Peridex. I had crown lengthening surgery and needed to use the mouthwash. I quit using it sunday night my tongue felt burned in the front tip. I can stilll taste but it’s thursday and the burning sensation comes and goes. I hope it’s going away gradually because this is annoying.
 
Back
Top