• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chipped side of canine tooth. Urgent?

S

SeagullFTB

I took incredibly poor care off my teeth as a teenager and I'm suffering now for it. I'm aware that my teeth are brittle and I have mild gum disease. But I'm terrified of the dentist, so I only go if I'm in pain.

A few months ago, during lockdown, I noticed a chip on the side of my upper left canine tooth. It hasn't caused me any pain and it isn't sensitive at all. The chip has gotten slightly larger since. I can feel it with my tongue but it isn't sharp. Pictures below.

20201115_135449.jpg
20201115_135521.jpg

I can't really afford any dental work right now. How urgent is treatment if I'm not in an pain? And what is the treatment likely to be?

It's not desperately urgent but it'll get worse the longer you leave it. It'll need a small filling.

I understand the financial aspect, but as a general rule, the earlier you get it fixed, the less traumatic and easier it will be to get done.

It's not desperately urgent but it'll get worse the longer you leave it. It'll need a small filling.

I understand the financial aspect, but as a general rule, the earlier you get it fixed, the less traumatic and easier it will be to get done.

Thank you.

I have another question if you don't mind.

There is a long crack on my front tooth that extends from the top to the gum. See picture. I have a bad habit of biting my nails. The tooth doesn't hurt at all. Does this look like an actual crack or a craze line?

When I can afford it, I want to crown this tooth as it's quite worn and brittle. But worry that a crown won't be possible if its cracked below the gum.

Attachments

• 20201119_080814.jpg
    20201119_080814.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 18
Looks like a craze line. Cracks in front teeth are pretty rare.

That wouldn't be a problem if you wanted a crown.

So I've braved it and booked an appointment on Friday for a filling on the canine tooth. The dentist hasn't actually seen me yet but she said it will be a filling based on the description I gave her.

I presume the filling will be white as it's at the front of the mouth. But do you think it'll actually be a filling or will it be bonding? Is one less painful/invasive than the other?

It'll be a bonded filling :)
No idea what you mean by "bonding", but that lesion needs a small filling.

Thank you for your earlier advice. I built up the courage to get a filling today.

Since arriving home, I've been inspected my tooth (can't help it, paranoia). I have noticed the tooth next it now has a small chip (pictured). This wasn't there yesterday. I presume as the filling was on the side of the canine tooth and my teeth are quite close together, the neighbouring tooth has been slightly knocked by one of the dentists tools. Does this chip require treatment? If so, can it wait? My dentist didn't say anything when I was there.

Attachments

• 20201212_164143.jpg
    20201212_164143.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 22
That looks to me like there's a wee bit of extra filling material stuck in there. Go back to the dentist with it, unless it pops out when you floss there.

Thank you Gordon. I don't think its filling (although you're the expert) as I can feel a slight divot in the tooth. I think it's just very white as it is newly exposed and not stained. The initial chip on the canine tooth was also very white in appearance. My teeth are very close together, even flossing is difficult. My dentist out some kind of plastic sheet between the two teeth when shaping the filling but it required quite a bit of force to get out. Which is why I think the tooth may have just been knocked slightly during the filling.

It doesn't hurt at all and it's very small. I'll just keep an eye on it for now. Don't fancy another trip to the dentist just yet.

Back