• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Choosing you’re dentist

2 out of 3 of my experiences with dental chains have been negative but the good one was my Endo (it was a very small chain-just a few offices) and they were really lovely. The Endo chain also had lots of very positive reviews so that made me feel better about them. Unfortunately dental work can be very expensive and there’s just no getting around that and if you opt for sedation that will cost extra but I would not base my decision on cost this early in the game. I would start making decisions regarding the financial piece once you know what work is actually being recommended. If you have insurance, they are only allowed to charge so much based on contractual agreements with your insurance company...self-pay is another matter though.

2 out of 3 of my experiences with dental chains have been negative but the good one was my Endo (it was a very small chain-just a few offices) and they were really lovely. The Endo chain also had lots of very positive reviews so that made me feel better about them. Unfortunately dental work can be very expensive and there’s just no getting around that and if you opt for sedation that will cost extra but I would not base my decision on cost this early in the game. I would start making decisions regarding the financial piece once you know what work is actually being recommended. If you have insurance, they are only allowed to charge so much based on contractual agreements with your insurance company...self-pay is another matter though.

I guess I’m just getting myself worked up to early before anything is really happened so I’m trying not to put too much thought into it yet but it’s just hard

Something else I always wondered did you guys ever get to actually pick your dentist and hygienist the people that you saw every time you came in or did they just pick someone for you

You can definately request the dentist and hygenist you want and if they deny you , or want you to switch you can choose to go with thier option or reschedule or leave. Give yourself the power to set your boundaries and see someone you are comfortable with. Now you may not know someone new and learn you like them, there may be a dentist or hygenist that is sick one day and they try to put you with someone else but ultimately it is up to you in the end.

I had a clinic I went to one time the dentist started to be a little slick and anytime someone didn't want something really big like an implant , he would at the last minute switch you to someone else without permission.he did this to me , my kids and friends.. and to "be nice" I let him several times because I didn't want to offend anyone, ultimately it didn't turn out well.. and I left the place. My friends and I called it "the switcheroo". and still you have the option to try it or leave.
The only thing that can be tricky is with insurance or especially state aid, limited dentists take it and they may want you to schedule with someone that is less busy . But I so encourage you to go with who YOU feel comfortable with .. :)..

one time I made an appt for my old dentist at the prior place and when they called they didn't say his name so I felt something was up. I asked and sure enough they had switched me to someone else because he wasn't at the practice anymore.. I actually left the practice because I just didn't feel comfortable with the other options. I"m really glad I did that.

one time I made an appt for my old dentist at the prior place and when they called they didn't say his name so I felt something was up. I asked and sure enough they had switched me to someone else because he wasn't at the practice anymore.. I actually left the practice because I just didn't feel comfortable with the other options. I"m really glad I did that.

Yea cause like a couple years ago when I tried to go back to the dentist the first time I guess cause what happened was i kept getting infections and swollen gums so I ended up going to this dentist that seemed okay at the time and I would go on to find that it was a mistake cause the dentist that saw me completely freaked out cause she had no bed side manner at all and told me that I could die from a tooth ache and I remember like just walking out of there because I was completely freaking out now and scared so I never went back there now the staff that was there was very nice and welcoming but I just couldn’t take it.

And now flash forward to today I i’m Ready to give it another go

Sounds like you did a good job protecting yourself at the time . Glad the staff was good even though she wasn't great with her bedside manner. are you thinking of going back to the same place but trying a different dentist maybe?

Sounds like you did a good job protecting yourself at the time . Glad the staff was good even though she wasn't great with her bedside manner. are you thinking of going back to the same place but trying a different dentist maybe?

Well I’ve got two places lined up that I want to check out see how I feel about them and meet the dentist and staff there and that particular dentist office isn’t around anymore

Sounds like you have a great plan Mikey boy!! and glad she isn't around :)

Sounds like you have a great plan Mikey boy!! and glad she isn't around :)

Yea I just hope I pick the right one and yea that place didn’t really have good reviews And people around the community didn’t like that place anyway

I believe you will! It sounds like you have some good options and you know what you are looking for!! :)

So.. true.. it really is.. calls are hard... especially the first..

Unfortunatly some of us don't get to chose we just get who were given. But that's great if you have a choice.

That scares me that I wouldn’t be able to get to pick my dentist ???

I didn't have the option got refered then finally changed consultants (after 5yrs) still not happy but there's no one else nearby,it is what it is.

I didn't have the option got refered then finally changed consultants (after 5yrs) still not happy but there's no one else nearby,it is what it is.
Oh okay I got you that really sucks

Yep, but like you said if you've got several to chose from you will find the right one.

Yep, but like you said if you've got several to chose from you will find the right one.
Yeah I hope I just pick the right one and don’t screw up

I go to a NHS dentist even though I been going to the same practice since my first baby tooth came through, it took me 11+ dentists to find the one I like, I had some pretty awful dentists at the practice in the past I go to.

Currently if my dentist is not available, I would see two others. I think now my current dentist in the owner (she owned it for 5 years now) she has a good team now.

Back