• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Coronavirus concerns/dental appointments

Susanne

Susanne

I have been putting off getting dental work done and was getting myself psyched up to do it when the COVID-19 cases started increasing dramatically in my area. My city and state issued stay-at-home orders and local dentists - including the one I was going to make an appointment with - went to an extreme emergencies-only schedule. Since my teeth didn't meet their emergency criteria - severe pain or swelling - I could not make an appointment.

One of the teeth - a lower wisdom tooth - has now chipped in such a way that the sharp, chipped edge is poking my tongue and it's making it painful to eat or swallow because my tongue keeps hitting that sharp edge. It's not the tooth itself that's painful, but my tongue, which comes into contact the sharp edge. I need to get it taken care of now, but the problem is that my state and local officials have lifted the stay-at-home order starting tonight even though the COVID-19 cases and deaths are increasing here.

The dentist I was planning to go to has decided to resume normal office hours in light of the stay-at-home order being lifted and his office says they will be following all CDC recommendations for safety, whatever that means. Since I am staying with a family member who is at high-risk for COVID-19 complications, I really don't yet feel comfortable going into public or an office setting where there will be others in the waiting room. Our family doctor also has strongly advised to wait at least another month before going to dental appointments, etc. because he believes cases haven't peaked here and it's just not safe enough to do so yet.

I'm not sure what to do now. Do dentists ever make exceptions and see patients after hours or on days off/weekends? I have a feeling this dentist does not and I'm not sure what to do.

If it is not the tooth that is causing pain, and your tongue where it is rubbing in the sharp edge, I would recommend that you go to the store and get some orthodontic wax (you can get at Walmart type stores). This is normally meant to protect the tissue from sharp edges of braces, but it would also work to put in your tooth to protect your tongue from the sharp edge of your tooth until you can safely get to your dentist.
I hope this helps!

I have been putting off getting dental work done and was getting myself psyched up to do it when the COVID-19 cases started increasing dramatically in my area. My city and state issued stay-at-home orders and local dentists - including the one I was going to make an appointment with - went to an extreme emergencies-only schedule. Since my teeth didn't meet their emergency criteria - severe pain or swelling - I could not make an appointment.

One of the teeth - a lower wisdom tooth - has now chipped in such a way that the sharp, chipped edge is poking my tongue and it's making it painful to eat or swallow because my tongue keeps hitting that sharp edge. It's not the tooth itself that's painful, but my tongue, which comes into contact the sharp edge. I need to get it taken care of now, but the problem is that my state and local officials have lifted the stay-at-home order starting tonight even though the COVID-19 cases and deaths are increasing here.

The dentist I was planning to go to has decided to resume normal office hours in light of the stay-at-home order being lifted and his office says they will be following all CDC recommendations for safety, whatever that means. Since I am staying with a family member who is at high-risk for COVID-19 complications, I really don't yet feel comfortable going into public or an office setting where there will be others in the waiting room. Our family doctor also has strongly advised to wait at least another month before going to dental appointments, etc. because he believes cases haven't peaked here and it's just not safe enough to do so yet.

I'm not sure what to do now. Do dentists ever make exceptions and see patients after hours or on days off/weekends? I have a feeling this dentist does not and I'm not sure what to do.

I would recommend calling the dentist‘s office and asking what the CDC recommendations are and how the office routine is different.
My state has not lifted the stay at home order but I have been to the dentist twice for my implant crown. I live in a rural area and my dentist told me that he can still take special cases as long as CDC and ADA guidelines are followed. One of those guidelines is that they can only have one patient at a time and only one in the waiting room at a time. Every was sterilized, and they were strict with it. Your office may be the same.
My state just started allowing dentists to open back up, even with the stay at home orders and the receptionist called me today to schedule a crown prep. She said they are still only scheduling one patient at a time.

Hi Susanne,

we have an article about how to fix some problems on your own here. When it comes to other people in waiting room, maybe having the first appointment in the morning or the last in the evening would do the job too, if your dentist is the only dentist in the practice. Talking to your practice and share your worries with them might bring in some insight if you decide that you would prefer to try and find a way to go instead of waiting.

All the best wishes

Susanne,

I was just reading about the worries about the waiting room and I've recently recieved several email letters from various dentist I had been in the past sharing how they are dealing with seeing people in covid and gradually. One is allowing people to call them from their car when there and when they are available to see them in the dental chair they can come in with a face mask one person at a time . so no waiting room. I've hear of others only scheduling one person to come in at a time and keeping doors locked between.. those seem drastic but safe.. I would feel better with that than waiting in a waiting room with whoever to walk in as well. Especially mine being an emergency dentist who can get quite busy. Might me worth asking if you can wait in your car until you are allowed back in the chair..? I agree with Enarete too about being first in the morning especially . Wishing you the best.

Back