• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Crown fitting for a recent root canal

T

TKB1974

Hello!

I recently started back on my journey to dental health. I had a root canal on upper molar (#2) on Monday, which I was petrified about (it went absolutely perfect, btw). I followed up with my (new) dentist for a crown fitting on Tuesday, 4/6. Can anyone tell me what this appointment generally entails? I had the root canal done by an endodontist. My dentist makes crowns in house w/digital fittings.Will they take this temporary filling out? Will there be more drilling? I’m just trying to get an idea of what to expect so I can mentally prepare myself for the appointment.

Thanks a bunch! ?

Hello. First of all great to the hear how well the RCT went. That’s fantastic and well done. In relation to the crown prep. I’m not a dentist so may not be the best to explain. but from my previous experience with one the tooth was shaved and shaped to fit the crown over the top. And an impression was made. I then had a temporary crown fitted until the real one was ready. Not sure how it works with in house making them as some places I think do same day crowns which maybe different to my experience.

Honestly the whole thing was fine including the the fitting appointment.

Hope this helps and others maybe able to provide a more detailed account. Happy to answer any questions.

Hello. First of all great to the hear how well the RCT went. That’s fantastic and well done. In relation to the crown prep. I’m not a dentist so may not be the best to explain. but from my previous experience with one the tooth was shaved and shaped to fit the crown over the top. And an impression was made. I then had a temporary crown fitted until the real one was ready. Not sure how it works with in house making them as some places I think do same day crowns which maybe different to my experience.

Honestly the whole thing was fine including the the fitting appointment.

Hope this helps and others maybe able to provide a more detailed account. Happy to answer any questions.
Thanks so much! This does help! I just wanted to get an idea of what to expect. I don’t think I’ll be getting my permanent crown the same day but I believe I will have it by the end of next week. Baby stepping through this whole “return to dental health” process! ?

Glade to be of help. Yes I had to wait a week or so for my permanent crown.
Well done on your journey that’s amazing.

Back