• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep Cleaning - Pain even with Injections

S

shane1637

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before.

Today, I had my first ever deep cleaning session which was recommended by my dentist. As some back story, last week I visited the dentist because of some horrible pain with a wisdom tooth - which he extracted immediately (thank god!) - the treatment went exceptionally well - no pain - very happy.

Anyways, prior to this it had been over 4 years since I last had my teeth looked at by a dentist and he recommended some "deep cleaning" over two appointments to help bring my oral health back into check. My gums are in a bit of a mess and have receded quite a lot with deep pockets. So I had my first treatment today to do the lower set and I have another appointment next week for the top row :)

As expected, my dentist applied plenty of injections inside and out all the way along the gum line of my lower set of teeth but even while the whole mouth (and most of my lips), was totally numb, the deep cleaning still hurt like hell! I wouldn't say the pain was like an ache but sharp and similar to sensitivity when you eat an ice cube. s.

Is this normal? Is it possible to still feel the sensitivity even with injections or could he not have applied the injections in the right places?

I'd like to mentioned that he used an ultrasonic scalier to do the deep clean - I didn't see him or feel the use of any manual scraper.

I am in no doubt that without the injections it would have been a LOT LOT worse but I still came out of the dentist today a little shaken and sweaty because of the pain.

Any thoughts are most welcome.

Shane x

Last edited:
Hi Shane,
I had mine deep cleaned last week with "the wand" and didn't feel anything...... I'm no expert but have heard it delivers the anaesthetic more effectively. Maybe you could ask your dentist if they use it?

Sounds like you had the tissue anesthetized but not the nerves of the teeth which is very possible tell your dentist

I felt a lot of pressure when I had my deep cleaning, which was in some ways painful. I would definitely mention it to your dentist if you have to get the procedure done again. I also take recommend taking an OTC pain medication prior to dental visits to prepare your body for any pain - it won't do too much for the pain, but I find I have less pain and swelling after some procedures when I have the meds in my system already.

I felt a lot of pressure when I had my deep cleaning, which was in some ways painful. I would definitely mention it to your dentist if you have to get the procedure done again. I also take recommend taking an OTC pain medication prior to dental visits to prepare your body for any pain - it won't do too much for the pain, but I find I have less pain and swelling after some procedures when I have the meds in my system already.

I need one but I'm terrified of the pain:cry::cry::cry:

Back