• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Deep Cleaning tomorrow - so scared

J

JellyBaby

I've posted before about this, but thought I would start a new thread. I was referred to the Perio in September last year who did all the X-rays and exam, etc. and was booked in for deep cleaning treatment for this month (February). My first appointment (of 2) is tomorrow and I am so, so anxious about it. I am just scared about everything about it - the numbing gel, the injections, the actual work, the pain afterwards and how long it will last. Please, please can somebody reassure me a bit??

I should add I have read so many conflicting stories. Some say it is no worse than a regular scale and polish and others say it is absolutely horrendous.

I'm really disappointed nobody has posted to help me - please!

Hi @JellyBaby, I'm sorry I can't help with a first-hand experience. Have you seen this thread in the FAQs:

There are some quite detailed descriptions of deep cleaning experiences in there, hopefully they are helpful!

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow :grouphug: - let us know how you got on!

OK - well I went for the appointment and honestly it was not as bad as I thought! Yesterday morning I was completely off the scale scared - I will document the experience if others are interested.

I was shaking so much when I arrived for the appointment I couldn't even sit still in the waiting room. The dental assistant arrived to take me into the surgery where I met my Perio again. She has such a calm, reassuring manner and she let me put my coat and stuff in a box before I took my seat in the chair, which is incredibly comfortable I must say.

She asked about my worries and answered them all, then started by putting some numbing gel on the top and bottom right gums. I had been frightened that if I swallowed the gel, my throat would go numb, but she assured me that it might tingle for a few minutes but not go numb, and it didn't. She then started on the locals - top row first - and said the worst one would be the front centre as it would make my eyes water. Do you know what? It didn't - I hardly felt any of the jabs - just a slight prickly feeling on a couple of occasions. She then started the deep clean, initially by just showing me how it would feel. It honestly felt just like a regular scale and polish with additional 'hoovering up' and dragging sensations. Anyway, she worked round all the teeth on the right, and said there was masses of tartar and calculus below my gums - all hoovered away. The assistant all the time was suctioning both the yucky stuff, blood and water so none went down my throat. She had to be a bit careful far back as I have a terrible gag reflex and the perio couldn't give me any more local as she knew it would make me gag. So it did hurt a bit when she did the wisdom tooth and next molar but as these were the last two to be done, I persevered!

All the time, she was asking me if I was OK and giving me little rests. And then - it was over! Of course I was very numb for a couple of hours and fully expected to feel sore and tender but honestly I had a little bit of soreness - not even bad enough for a painkiller. Then I ate dinner as normal (although soft food just to be on the safe side).

This morning some of the gums did bleed when I used the interdental brushes but I guess this is to be expected when they have been disturbed.

I have my second appointment next week and am feeling much happier about going. No, it's not a pleasant experience, but nowhere as bad as I was imagining. So, if you are worrying about a deep clean, please don't. Honestly, I am the worst patient ever, anxious and shaking, even my mouth was shaking as she worked on it,and I managed to get through it.

Happy to answer any questions.

Fantastic news @JellyBaby - sounds like you did really great ?!! And your perio sounds lovely ?.

Thank you so much for the detailed description ? - I'm sure this will be super helpful to others who are dreading a deep cleaning. Would it be ok with you if I copied this into the FAQ post I mentioned above?

Brilliant - thank you very much!

Wishing you all the best for your appointment next week ?

Hi JellyBaby,

so glad all went well with your deep clean! I believe the reason you read so many conflicting things on the internet is simply that any dental treatment is an interaction between you and the person who treats you. It's about how careful and gentle the dentist is and how much they explain and are willing to put you at ease and it's also about how much are you willing to share your fears and let your dental team know what you need. You need both sides of this to have a comfortable treatment. In my experience, many bad reviews come from people who either have a dentist / hygienist that are not very gentle or people who don't feel ok saying what they need and tend to toughen it out, which could be a nightmare. Glad your experience was a good one and hopefully this helps you to feel more confident next time.

All the best wishes and let us know how your next apt went :)

Thank you so much for putting this question up. Im due to have this done and im a little worried. I think my biggest problem is i do to many internet serches.

@kayduck - I have just realised I never came back to report on the second appointment! It went exactly as the first one did, and the Perio was even pleased that in the space of one week my gums had started to heal properly on the right hand side! My review appointment is next week to see what progress (if any) I have made. I so, so hope that this treatment has worked and halted the progression of the gum disease. Anyway, I just wanted to say that you are quite right - Internet searching is the worst thing anyone can do. As somebody once said, you don't get many people coming on forums such as these to say what a wonderful time they have had at the dentist - it's only the negative stories you hear! If you would like me to answer any questions you may have, please feel free to post them.

Thank you. It doesnt help as i suffer from general anxiety disorder so everything seems twice as bad but the internet makes it go into overdrive.

Back