• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Delayed healing after extraction

M

melisa

Hi, I'm new on this forum, I'm 38 year old and I just started to take care of my mouth after many years withouth seeing a dentist (my bad, I know). 6 weeks ago my dentist extracted three molars (one of them an upper wisdom tooth and the others two upper and adjacedment molars in the other side of the mouth). My wisdom tooth healed very quickly but the other two are not healed yet. They were in pretty bad shape, they had only the roots and one of them came out with a little quist on it, and a fistula. I didn't get stitches and I have no pain and I think I see advances on the healing with the pass of the weeks but I'm very worried about this delayed healing... Is it possible that the previous infection and bad shape of my gums are delaying the healing? I know it can be many causes... some of them are pretty bad and I'm very nervous ?

I have periodontal issues too and I began to see a periodoncist for treatment. I will see him in a couple of days.

Thanks.

Not a dentist, so no advice, but I have had three molar extractions, and each one healed at a different rate. One of my lower ones still didn't feel right after 3 months, but the dentist assured me it was fine and there was no infection. I ended up getting an implant in that one 4 months after extraction, and it healed right up after the implant.

Not a dentist, so no advice, but I have had three molar extractions, and each one healed at a different rate. One of my lower ones still didn't feel right after 3 months, but the dentist assured me it was fine and there was no infection. I ended up getting an implant in that one 4 months after extraction, and it healed right up after the implant.

Thanks for your words MountainMama, I'm glad that your implant worked well!

I'm worried because I don't see the edges of the wounds closing (the gum). It's like the holes are getting filled up but this tissue in the alveolar sockets it's still red (but no bloody). In most of the photos that I saw on internet they are mostly pink or still with the fibrine, and the holes very narrow.

I always thought that I wasn't hypochondriac, but I'm on it now ?

Thanks for your words MountainMama, I'm glad that your implant worked well!

I'm worried because I don't see the edges of the wounds closing (the gum). It's like the holes are getting filled up but this tissue in the alveolar sockets it's still red (but no bloody). In most of the photos that I saw on internet they are mostly pink or still with the fibrine, and the holes very narrow.

I always thought that I wasn't hypochondriac, but I'm on it now ?

It is hard not to be a hypochondriac when your situation doesn't fit the norm. I worry over everything with my teeth now, because every situation I have had has been out of the norm. My endodontist said I am a dental mystery on many levels. Lol

It is hard not to be a hypochondriac when your situation doesn't fit the norm. I worry over everything with my teeth now, because every situation I have had has been out of the norm. My endodontist said I am a dental mystery on many levels. Lol

It's so stressful!!

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my periodoncist for a cleaning, I will ask about my concerns... I'm mentally exhausted. I revise my wounds at all hours in the hope for seeing some good signs. I tell myself not to google anything because all seems cancer and bad things. Right now even a not diagnostiqued diabettes as a cause seems positive and reasuring for my mind!!

I hope all goes ok in the end, I'm almost crying when I think it too much. Sometimes I feel that I am being disrespectful worrying so much because other people are really going through a confirmed illness. But I don't know how to avoid it.

I wish tomorrow I can reply in this post saying it was all in my mind. I am grateful to have found this forum, I feel less alone with my fears.

And sorry for my bad english!

It's so stressful!!

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my periodoncist for a cleaning, I will ask about my concerns... I'm mentally exhausted. I revise my wounds at all hours in the hope for seeing some good signs. I tell myself not to google anything because all seems cancer and bad things. Right now even a not diagnostiqued diabettes as a cause seems positive and reasuring for my mind!!

I hope all goes ok in the end, I'm almost crying when I think it too much. Sometimes I feel that I am being disrespectful worrying so much because other people are really going through a confirmed illness. But I don't know how to avoid it.

I wish tomorrow I can reply in this post saying it was all in my mind. I am grateful to have found this forum, I feel less alone with my fears.

And sorry for my bad english!

I hope your periodontist can give you a good answer that will ease your fears. My oral surgeon is fantastic and he has told me numerous times to come in if I have any issue and am worried. I have been in a few times when it was nothing, and he has reassured me it is better to check to make sure.
The last tooth I had extracted was my front upper tooth. It had died slowly from a childhood accident. The surgeon did a bone plate grafting after extraction and put in an implant. Two weeks after, the gums above the extraction site were still red and sore, even though the stitches had come out and I had a general achiness in the area. I went back in, feeling like a hypochondriac (because, you know, major procedure two weeks ago should still hurt, right?). He took an x ray and it turns out it was a tiny piece of the bone graft that had flaked off and was irritating my gums. Nothing major, but I need need antibiotics to prevent infection since I can't take anti-inflammatory meds. It cleared up soon after. Hopefully yours will be a simple fix as well.

Thanks MountainMama, I will post tomorrow how it goes ?

My fears are so high because I avoided dentists for more than 15 years and my mouth was in very bad shape... I have been reading some of the dental journies here in the forum, and all of you are a example of courage for me!
:thankyou:

Well today I had a cleaning on my mouth and they told me that my extraction healings don't seem that bad. They are a bit tender yet but they told me not to worry. I have to go back in two weeks for a revision of my periodontitis, I hope the wounds are healed or almost healed then. Tonight I will sleep well :bounces:

Back