• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Extraction Appt. Coming Up

Unfortunately, my dentist never called me. The only thing I've heard is from the secretary (who isn't a dentist) trying to push the Oral Sedative AND the Nitrous together. She also keeps bringing up IV sedation (which costs about $1,000 USD). I told her already I cannot afford that, and that nitrous would be fine.

Here's what I don't understand:

The secretary (not sure her official title at the office), asked me two weeks ago when I set the appointment up if I would prefer NITROUS OXIDE or ORAL SEDATION. I told her I wasn't sure, and that I'd have to get back with her after I did some research.

That research was coming to this forum and website to ask for opinions from other dentists and members who have had different types of sedation. Based on everything I read, I decided on NITROUS OXIDE sedation.

Two days ago the secretary calls me and asks if I've made up my mind because the office is going on vacation for the Christmas holiday and my appointment is on the day they re-open: January 2nd. As I've already explained: I told her NITROUS OXIDE.

So now she's saying, "You know you can do BOTH, right? I'm just concerned that two and a half hours of extractions might be too long for just nitrous oxide."

I felt confident before after deciding on Nitrous Oxide, but now I'm second-guessing my choice. Plus, she brought up IV sedation again which I've already explained is off the table. So I had to tell her again, "No, I don't want IV sedation."

Oof. This is one reason I'm not a fan of the dentist. It's going to cost me $3,000 to remove all four teeth, and I'm still trying to decide on how to even be comfortable. It's too much money and anxiety just to have a bunch of teeth missing in my mouth. And when I'm done with the extractions, they'll just call me back in for more fillings and root canals and god knows what else later on. It's all so frustrating to me, and I don't have the cash to just shell out. I brush twice a day, I floss every single day. I even use a Water Pik to clean my teeth, and I never miss a beat. What's the use of these teeth if they all just fall out anyway?

Sorry for the rant.

If you’re comfortable with your choice after all your research then by all means stick with what you’ve decided. I’m not trying to talk you into anything, I just want you to know that I believe you know what’s best for you, and don’t let them sell you something you don’t want. I hate to say it but they may be trying to get more money from you.

Don’t be sorry for ranting, I understand your frustration, as most everyone else here does. I’ve recently had full dentures done, and I’m struggling with them staying in place. Implants are just financially out of the question.

Unfortunately, my dentist never called me. The only thing I've heard is from the secretary (who isn't a dentist) trying to push the Oral Sedative AND the Nitrous together. She also keeps bringing up IV sedation (which costs about $1,000 USD). I told her already I cannot afford that, and that nitrous would be fine.

Here's what I don't understand:

The secretary (not sure her official title at the office), asked me two weeks ago when I set the appointment up if I would prefer NITROUS OXIDE or ORAL SEDATION. I told her I wasn't sure, and that I'd have to get back with her after I did some research.

That research was coming to this forum and website to ask for opinions from other dentists and members who have had different types of sedation. Based on everything I read, I decided on NITROUS OXIDE sedation.

Two days ago the secretary calls me and asks if I've made up my mind because the office is going on vacation for the Christmas holiday and my appointment is on the day they re-open: January 2nd. As I've already explained: I told her NITROUS OXIDE.

So now she's saying, "You know you can do BOTH, right? I'm just concerned that two and a half hours of extractions might be too long for just nitrous oxide."

I felt confident before after deciding on Nitrous Oxide, but now I'm second-guessing my choice. Plus, she brought up IV sedation again which I've already explained is off the table. So I had to tell her again, "No, I don't want IV sedation."

Oof. This is one reason I'm not a fan of the dentist. It's going to cost me $3,000 to remove all four teeth, and I'm still trying to decide on how to even be comfortable. It's too much money and anxiety just to have a bunch of teeth missing in my mouth. And when I'm done with the extractions, they'll just call me back in for more fillings and root canals and god knows what else later on. It's all so frustrating to me, and I don't have the cash to just shell out. I brush twice a day, I floss every single day. I even use a Water Pik to clean my teeth, and I never miss a beat. What's the use of these teeth if they all just fall out anyway?

Sorry for the rant.

I'm just wondering if this is $3000 to remove four teeth, not $300? That's a huge cost, I would look around for a more realistic figure. As for leaving the dental work for now; if there is anything urgent that needs to be done, don't leave it to get worse, it could cost you much more in the long run. But if it's something that can be left until you find a dentist you're happier with, you could take your time and shop around for now.

I agree. $3,000 is a lot. I probably chose a premier dentist because I was so particular about the reviews I was reading online. And yes, it's $3,000; not $300.

I just feel anxious about it so much now. Am I going to be in a lot of pain? Will I even have enough control to explain that I'm in pain? I'm thinking about having just the ONE tooth removed now that my crown came off of. The other three are just wisdom teeth the dentist recommended removing since I'm extracting one anyway.

The whole thing has sort of put me in a bad mood. I try so hard to take care of my teeth. When do you decide to just get dentures? Ha.

$3,000 to remove 4 teeth? Wow, that's a lot. I was charged almost $1,700 to remove 6 teeth and IV Sedation, IV Sedation was like $300.

BTW, I hope everything goes well for you on your next appointment.

The secretary called me back this morning to say that NITROUS OXIDE alone would be just fine. She sang a completely different tune.

Slagdor,

Glad she is singing to a different tune that is more in line with what you are comfortable with!

The secretary called me back this morning to say that NITROUS OXIDE alone would be just fine. She sang a completely different tune.

That's great, I wonder why the change of plan though?

I have no idea. None of it makes any sense. I explained to her I already take LEXAPRO for my generalized anxiety disorder every day. I don't know about the drug interactions with HALCION (the oral sedative). If I'm getting NITROUS OXIDE and LOCAL ANESTHETIC, why do I need to stack up multiple sedatives?

I have no idea. None of it makes any sense. I explained to her I already take LEXAPRO for my generalized anxiety disorder every day. I don't know about the drug interactions with HALCION (the oral sedative). If I'm getting NITROUS OXIDE and LOCAL ANESTHETIC, why do I need to stack up multiple sedatives?

Some people do need another form of sedative apart from nitrous and LA, it just depends on the levels of anxiety about planned treatment or/and any kind of dental treatment. I'm just glad that your dental office is in agreement with you now, that's so good as you will be more confident and have greater peace of mind before you even go in to the office, I'm happy for you!

I understand others might need that. It's a relative process. A better way of wording it would have been, 'Why do I personally need to stack up sedatives, when I'm electing for only NITROUS?'

That question hasn't been answered by the secretary, and in fact, her tone changed today on the phone and she said it was now fine to have only the gas. It's very confusing.

I understand others might need that. It's a relative process. A better way of wording it would have been, 'Why do I personally need to stack up sedatives, when I'm electing for only NITROUS?'

That question hasn't been answered by the secretary, and in fact, her tone changed today on the phone and she said it was now fine to have only the gas. It's very confusing.

Yes, it is confusing but don't worry about that now, you have got the result you wanted all along-better late than never!

The last time I had gas, they extracted a tooth but I was asleep I guess. Is that normal? When I woke up, I hadn't realized that anything had even happened.

The last time I had gas, they extracted a tooth but I was asleep I guess. Is that normal? When I woke up, I hadn't realized that anything had even happened.

My understanding is that you usually know what's going on but are not that bothered by it and are pretty relaxed. It sounds like you experienced a deeper level of sedation, I guess that was normal for you. It affects patients in different ways, so not as predictable as say IV, but very safe and I love that it wears off almost immediately.

My appt. is tomorrow morning. I'm nervous about it. I promise to come back and tell my story. If you don't hear from me again, assume the worst. I've died from some complication involving nitrous oxide or bled out. I'm not sure what all can go wrong. :dunno:

Slagdor. Ill be thinking of you tomorrow hoping all goes well and they tratbyou patiently and kindly. I hope 5hey put you to ease . let us know how it goes when you can!

My appt. is tomorrow morning. I'm nervous about it. I promise to come back and tell my story. If you don't hear from me again, assume the worst. I've died from some complication involving nitrous oxide or bled out. I'm not sure what all can go wrong. :dunno:

Will be thinking of you and am 100pc sure none of the catastrophic thoughts you are thinking will come true, that's just your anxiety talking which, being an anxious patient myself, I fully recognize!

Good luck and look forward to your update. Of course you will come back well and safe after the procedure!

Back