• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Hospital cannot figure out whats causing pain in mouth?

T

thorpey

Hi All,
This pain has been going on for about 4 years and the dental hospital cannot get to the bottom of it. I have had every test there is...

Hot cold test, xrays, etc.... they said at the dental hospital that I grind my teeth but have a mouth guard I use every night and moderate gum disease in places. I have them deep cleaned but does not help

The pain is in the lower left hand side and when I press my gum it feels numbish and tingly as well compared with the other side and feel like I cannot taste or smell as I used to. I have had a CT scan on my sinuses and that was fine.

The pain moves about but is always in the same area of the back three teeth and is like a dullish pain that comes and go's but is there about 80% of the day and pain rating about 6 out of 10

Pain killers including gabapentin don't help and am at my wits end what to do.

My dentist has suggested extracting two of them but am reluctant to have it done because for one I'm terrified of injections and what if the problem is not to do with the teeth he extracts?

The dental hospital said it is not an orthodontic issue....

Can someone help please? or offer any advice?

Facial pain can sometimes be very difficult to diagnose. If you looked at an anatomical chart of nerves in the face then you would start to understand the complexity.

If your pain is from teeth then administering a local anesthetic will provide you pain relief for a couple of hours.

Diagnostic nerve blocks are sometimes a useful modality to pinpoint the source of pain when the various doctors are unable to diagnose its source.

Facial pain can sometimes be very difficult to diagnose. If you looked at an anatomical chart of nerves in the face then you would start to understand the complexity.
If you pain is from teeth then administering a local anesthetic will provide you pain relief for a couple of hours.
Diagnostic nerve blocks are sometimes a useful modality to pinpoint source of pain when the various doctors are unable to diagnose its source.

Thank you for your advice Dr Kinsey and everyone else's. I'm going to the dentist today. My lip still feels numb on the same side as the pain on my lip.

Back