• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental Implant Surgery

C

crazylegs

Has anyone had a dental implant placed without undergoing IV sedation or using laughing gas (i.e. doing the surgery with just a local)? Could you describe the process - noise, length of time, discomfort, etc? Also, what post-op care instructions were given?

my BIL has had an implant this past year, he was awake the whole time, I know he was a bit sore after but he never complained about it.

Hi Crazylegs

Well, I am looking at exactly the procedure you are describing to replace an extracted lower left Molar, I understand they need to make an incision through the gum to place the implant. I am planning on having the implant fitted under local; I understand it is relatively painless, aftercare would be similar to any other oral surgery ie keeping the area scrupulously keen to avoid infection. The implant itself needs to be then left to heal and fuse with the bone for 3-6 months typically before the final prosthetic tooth is fitted.

I am planning to have this done under local anaesthetic without sedation but I will be taking my trusty Ipod as I prefer to listen to music over the alternative :o

I can let you know a bit more after I go to see my new Dentist on 14th July if that would help as I have a long list of questions about the procedure, if you need to know anything specific let me know and I can add it if I haven't already got it on my list:)

Kind Regards

Thanks so much for the offer! As far as post-op goes, I'd like to know if there's anything specific I could do to improve the chances of the post fusing with the bone in my jaw.

I had 8 teeth removed on April 16th and 6 implants put in on the same day.... I did shots. No gas , no pills... I am very resistant to the numby shots for some reason and it took about 8 shots (not normal for 99% of the patients). Once they kicked in, I was fine.. I was really nervous and I had my ipod. It really didn't take too long for the whole thing to be done. Post op was better then I thought. The first day was bad, but bearable. I only took Tylenol for the pain... They gave me a prescription for something stronger, but I didn't take it.. I was on soft foods for about a week. I did the salt rinses and followed all of the drs orders... My gums are healing nicely and I go July 7th for the 2nd part of the implant process. I am ahead of schedule..

Back