• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Diazepam for dental anxiety?

M

MontyUTB

Hello

Hopefully, someone can help / advise.... I have some form of dental anxiety - I'm not really concerned about the treatment or the drills / instruments / noise

My problem is the fact I can't seem to open my mouth for long periods of time, I think my issue is my gag reflex and I just *feel* like I'm going to vomit - even though I don't

During treatment front teeth are obviously not really an issue, but back teeth can be

My dentist has recommended Diazepam to help calm my anxiety / muscles / relax - is this a good option?

I should probably add I'm early 30s - I've had Invisalign, my wisdom teeth removed at the hospital without sedation , I don't know why I can't get over this!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi Monty UTB,

just out of curiosity - is this problem something you always have struggled with or have it developed lately? It sounds like you don’t gag for shorter periods of time, but start after a while. May I ask how long that period is?

All the best wishes

My dentist has recommended Diazepam to help calm my anxiety / muscles / relax - is this a good option?
Seeing you ask, it's not the best drug for the job to be honest. Too long a duration of action, distinctly variable results. There are better choices.

Better yet would be to get to the bottom of this without resorting to drugs at all. Which is what Enarete is subtly suggesting.

Hi Monty UTB,

just out of curiosity - is this problem something you always have struggled with or have it developed lately? It sounds like you don’t gag for shorter periods of time, but start after a while. May I ask how long that period is?

All the best wishes
Thanks for replying.... to a certain extent, yeah I have struggled with it throughout my life, but it's obviously 100% worse when I'm more anxious / stressed

I can go years without any real 'problems' and basically let the dentist do their work - then all of a sudden it seems to return and I just feel nausea if anything goes near the roof of my mouth

Thank you for explaining. It sounds like this is more likely to happen when it’s about the roof of the mouth and when you feel stressed. Is this nausea and the feeling of having to vomit something that builds up gradually or more like an on/off switch? Also, do you ever use a stop signal or take breaks during treatment?

Back