• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Diazepam for dental appts

B

Buddhacharlie

I haven’t been to a dentist in over 14 years. I had an emergency appt last October when I split a tooth. It was a traumatic experience and I vowed I wouldn’t go back.
Then I split another one! The dentist gave me a costly treatment plant to do root canal on both of the teeth. Along with a bunch of fillings and then a deep clean thing.
The first appt is tomorrow. He’s prescribed me diazepam. How good is it? Will I not know what’s happening? I need to be really out of it to see it through!

How much were you given?

That's quite a lot my doc only gives me 5mg max.

Buddha Charlie,

You are very brave for going back and starting this treatment plan after having a traumatic experience . Sounds like you are taking good care of this and sometimes meds can really help with the anxiety part. I have taken Lorezepam, which is in the Benzodiazepam family but different doses but that does sound alot compared to TAzeys, however, that could be for many reasons we don't know. I know I take a small does of the Lorazepam and it is enough to put me in super chilled out mode, but I don't feel weird, it relaxes my mind and my muscles to make it possible to do procedures a little easier without being out of it. But maybe a higher does was intended to make you less aware if that is what you need or wanted too. Just wishing it goes smooth and well for you.. Let us know how you do with it. and HOpe your dentist and team are kind and understanding!

I too have some experience with Lorazepam but not Diazepam (but I don’t think they differ too much-they are in the same class of medications; dosing may be a little different). Many years ago, I was experiencing a short bout with panic attacks due to some things happening in my family life and only .25 milligrams would knock me out cold so I guess I’m a light weight when it comes to sedation. The strange thing is IV sedation barely worked for me during my wisdom teeth extractions so...you can never be certain with these sorts of things. There is no harm in trying as that’s probably the only way to know and if the medication doesn’t work and you can’t go through with it, then you will just have to reschedule and try something else another day.

Well part 1 done. That was SHIT! 20mg diazepam did fuck all. Mentally taken a total battering and really don’t want to go back for part 2 tomorrow now ?

Diazepam is the first drug of its class which include lorazepam, midazolam, xanax, etc. They all work at the same spot on your brain. Diazepam has a long life so it is seldom used for dentistry anymore. If you are older let's say 60+ then it may keep you sleepy all day+.

Well part 1 done. That was SHIT! 20mg diazepam did fuck all. Mentally taken a total battering and really don’t want to go back for part 2 tomorrow now ?

I'm sorry you've had such a horrible experience.

I don't know much about these meds but I am wondering whether some people are just resistant to them. Or certain types of them. If so, I'm wondering how they tell who they work for and who they don't.

Aside from being a dental phone, I get into an unbelievable bad state over any and all medical stuff. And I'm afraid of the medication itself. The only time anyone every convinced me to swallow something like that was before an endoscope - as you say, it did sweet Fanny Adams. Maybe I was mentally fighting it because I was afraid of what I'd taken - dunno.

Is there nothing else they can give you instead?

Second side done today. He didn’t put enough anaesthetic in and I could feel it. I know I should have spoken up but I don’t like making a fuss. And I kind of hoped by my wincing he would get the picture!
I know he’s like oh it will feel great with clean teeth but tbh I hate the feeling. I’m used to those bits of plaque between my teeth, not being able to feel every single tooth. It feels wrong.

Yeah, get that. Makes me uncomfortably aware of them for a few days

Back