• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fearful 30 year old

Being called back can actually be a good thing, they already know a bit about what you want and they've made the time to get in touch so it won't be a rushed called or a really busy receptionist, I'm sure they'll be calling you soon, just try to stay calm and don't let the phone ringing unnerve you

So they just called me back. Nothing available for today or tomorrow. The earliest they have is Wednesday 1PM. I told them I had a damaged tooth and that it cracked yesterday, and that I wasn't in any pain currently. Also mentioned to her that I have dental phobia and she said don't worry, we understand and we will take good care of you. I told her I haven't been to the dentist for awhile. And she again said don't worry we'll make you better. I'm relieved that an appointment was made. I was calm while speaking to her. Gave her my information and my insurance information. She said she noted down the appointment as damaged tooth and that I have a phobia. She sounded very sincere, so let's hope the dentist is the same!

I'm glad that is over and done with. Now come Wednesday, I'll be a nervous wreck. I guess I'll have to deal with tomorrow with work, and take a personal day for Wednesday. Thanks all for the support and good words. I truly truly appreciate it...

Will keep you guys posted once Wednesday comes.

So glad they called you back and seemed really nice and sincere in helping you with your tooth and the anxiety.. ! Hope your tooth hangs in there for you until then and isn't too bad. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's excellent, I'm sorry you couldn't get your appointment today but everything else sounds so positive and it sounds like you had a very good call, I hope its made you feel a bit better. Wednesday will go well too I'm sure. Congratulations for getting this far, you've done great this morning, well done!

Congratulations Helpmex!

In my experience the receptionists are a pretty good indicator of the culture of the dentist's office. A nice, understanding and compassionate receptionist is most likely to be employed by someone who upholds those values too!

I'm very relieved. And I'm getting positive vibes about this dentist. Again you all have been SO great. I am so thankful I found this forum. My husband was also very proud of me for making the call. Is it weird that I want Wednesday to come already? ;D

Not weird at all, I think most people feel that way, it's a little bit exciting to get things going even if we do get scared ?

I'm very relieved. And I'm getting positive vibes about this dentist. Again you all have been SO great. I am so thankful I found this forum. My husband was also very proud of me for making the call. Is it weird that I want Wednesday to come already? ;D
Wednesday will be here in no time at all ?

Not weird at all. You've been building up to this for a while now and you've done a great job in facing your fears and booking an appointment. I remember feeling nervous but excited before my first appointment. I remember after my first appointment feeling silly that I didn't do it sooner because all my fears were way overblown.

I'm so happy for you and can't wait to hear how it goes!

Agreed with the rest!! not weird at all! :) and very happy for you! Will look for the report of how it goes :)

Well done! That's great you have an appointment, and Wednesday will come quickly. I can sympathise too. I first went last month and it was much easier than I expected, it didn't warrant all the nerves and procrastination. I didn't feel judged at all, the dentist was really nice and just wanted to help. It sounds like you've got off to a good start and that yours will be helpful too.

I don't doubt this will be the start of everything getting much better, with your teeth and emotionally :jump:

I briefly read over your other posts, and it sounds like you are afraid of what the dentist will think, and that they are going to tell you that you need a bunch of expensive work done. I understand your fears.

First of all, though, as many of the others have already said, the dentist will not judge you. They will be happy that you came in, and that they can help you. People who get regular cleanings and routine x rays still have major issues. If you have read any of my posts, I have gone to the dentist every 6 months for cleanings, and still have had multiple infections, including a huge abscess on my front tooth.

Depending on the size of the break in your front tooth, a crown may be an easy fix. I broke my front tooth as a child, and they just did a filling. It abscessed this past year, and now I am getting a crown. About half the tooth was broken at the time.

I just saw that you have an appointment! Yay!

As far as money, my husband put it best. We can't afford it, but we can't NOT afford it. Your teeth can affect your health and quality of life. We are in a lot of debt right now, due to my dental procedures, but we know that it has to be done or the cost will be greater later. There are options where you can do payment plans, or sliding fees, depending on where you live, like Care Credit.

Last edited:
Hi,

Please allow me to introduce you a video I have made which might be relevant to you. It is about fear of feeling embarrassed during a dental appointment. Hope it helps.

Very well done, Helpmex!!!! :perfect::you-rock::cheer::cheer::cheer::jump::jump::cheer2::cheer2::claps:

This is absolutely awesome, give yourself a HUGE pat on the back! First hurdle overcome and now you have a bit of trust. Them being kind on the phone and even being able to create an atmosphere of calmness is a great sign. If their receptionist is able to do this, think of how kind their dentist must be.

You will be a nervous wreck on Wednesday, but don't be afraid of it. This belongs to the journey and means you are moving forward. Glad your husband is supportive as well. Will he come with you?

you are so brave!!! The kindness of the receptionist is a great sign for how well your experience will be on Wednesday. Please update with how it goes- I will be thinking of you on Wednesday x It will be such a relief to have that tooth fixed, or atleast have a solid plan in place. This is the start of your journey- I'd love to read a journal if you decide to start one :)

Woo... heart is racing today just thinking about the appointment tomorrow. I’m definitely not sleeping tonight. Trying to remain calm but will be really hard...

The office called me today to remind me about my appointment and my heart was just beating super fast...

Just got another call from them. They asked if I want to do cleaning, I said I'm not sure yet, I kind of want to do a consultation. And she asked when was the last time I got a cleaning and x-ray, and I said I can honestly say a very long time. And she said we can do cleaning, x-rays, and look at the cracked tooth. I was too chicken to tell her that I have multiple cracked teeth over the phone. Oh goddddd, this is going to be a nightmare for me.

Just got another call from them. They asked if I want to do cleaning, I said I'm not sure yet, I kind of want to do a consultation. And she asked when was the last time I got a cleaning and x-ray, and I said I can honestly say a very long time. And she said we can do cleaning, x-rays, and look at the cracked tooth. I was too chicken to tell her that I have multiple cracked teeth over the phone. Oh goddddd, this is going to be a nightmare for me.

Deep breaths! You will make it through...you got the courage to schedule the appointment, so you can do this! Remember that you are in control. You can always refuse something if you are uncomfortable and do it another time. If you just want them to deal with the one tooth this time, you can.

They know you are super scared and they know you haven't been for a while and they know you have a front tooth broken. They were nice to you on the phone which shows they care and are experienced in treating nervous patients. Believe me, the last thing they would expect to find is you having perfect teeth. On the contrary. Many patients who are too scared to see a dentist can put up with pain, broken teeth or not being able to eat for years, but once a front tooth breaks, the point of 'enough' is reached and they see a dentist. This is really common. What I feel the lady on the phone might have meant was that they will take a look at the cracked front tooth that was bothering you and was the reason that brought you there.

It won't be a nightmare. I know how scared you are, we have been all there before. The worst part of all might be you dealing with yourself and with the anxiety as such and sadly, nobody can take this off of you, but I am very positive about your dental team taking good care of you once you arrived. I anyone coming with you? Your husband maybe?

Hope you can find a way to stay distracted today and hope you can, despite anxiety, get some sleep tonight.

Just wanted to drop by to wish you the best luck for tomorrow, you're going to do great. Let us know how they treat you :clover::star:

Back