• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fearful 30 year old

Helpmex
I totally agree with the rest, you will do great and build some positive momentum , its not easy, but its worth it. You are worth it! and you got this! Every step is a good step, Just go as far as you are comfortable and build positive steps.. Try your best to communicate your fears and anxieties as hard as it is, that will really help them help you!! Wishing you the best in this!

Sending you lots of good energy for your appointment tomorrow (or today, depending on time zones!). You are doing so well and are so brave to be facing your fears. Please update us with how it goes xx

Thank you all. It is in 2 hours. I didn’t sleep much last night but wasn’t up like I thought I would be. I wasn’t aware that I was biting my lips from the nerves and found out I was biting so much a lot of skin came off. So this is gonna hurt when I open my mouth to the dentist lol my heart is still racing.

Let us know how it goes.. ! We are rooting for you!! Know you have alot of people surrounding you in thought as you are in the chair !:grouphug:

Currently at the office waiting. Shaking!!!

I wager they've collected you by now but sending you my best wishes anyway ??

I wager they've collected you by now but sending you my best wishes anyway ??

Not yet. I just finished signing my life away with all those forms. I feel like my heart is going to jump out of my body real soon. My goodness.......

I’m waiting on the chair right now for the dentist. I just took x-rays and it’s not looking good. The girl who took my x-rays said a lot of pulling, a lot of roots to take out. Might need braces. She also said I have all my bones so she’s even talking about implants and bridges. But she told me to let the dentist look at me first before we do anything. I told her about my main concern of the visible cracked tooth. And she told me that I have multiple teeth that is like that. And let the dentist see me first. I’m so miserable right now. She did say that she’s glad I came in now and not years later. She said a lot of work needs to be done and good thing I’m young and there’s nothing he can’t fix.

To hear about everything that needs fixing is very overwhelming, but I think its important to take it one step at a time. You're actually sitting in a dentists chair and did xrays- thats HUGE!!! Love the updates... I'm having trouble getting anything done today because I keep checking back xx

Oh, I am so sorry she scared you already, with talk of all that needs to be done. Hopefully now you are with the dentist, and they can reassure you, and set up a reasonable treatment plan that you are comfortable with. Huge hugs to you right now!

That is alot of information to take in. But I agree you are doing amazing just sitting in the chair, getting the xrays and all that information is alot. Hang in there..

Might need braces... She also said I have all my bones... I’m young and there’s nothing he can’t fix.

Just picked out these couple of points; they might use the braces to close any gaps you're left with to reduce the number of replacements (if you need them). Having good bone levels is excellent, it means no serious periodontal issues. Awesome! And yes you are young and as you've been told there's nothing they can't fix. I think it's all going to be alright and you're doing so great.

Hello all. Just got home from the dentist. Here’s the full journey and updates.

X-rays were done I gagged a few times but the girl doing it was very generous and told me to just breathe and asked if I needed a break. I said no keep going. X-rays came out really good and clear but multiple problems to fix. And here it goes:

Top 3 teeth in the left (including the visible tooth) will need to be extracted. That’s scheduled for 2/14. A flipper will be made for my visible tooth (as requested by me) and that is not covered by insurance because it’s cosmetic and that’s $350 USD. On 2/14 he will do extraction and bone graft on all those three tooth. Will take about 3-4 months to heal. Then I will go back to implant the screws? For it to be prepared for implants. Once that’s done another 3-4 months to heal and a crown or fake teeth will be put on.

Bottom three teeth on right will also need to be extracted and bone graft with same procedures.

He will refer to an oral surgeon who will remove the broken wisdom tooth on top right as well as an impacted tooth that’s by the roof of my mouth. And also on the left top side there seems to be a tooth remnant that he wants to remove because it’s very close to my sinus pockets and also infected at the moment. He said he can’t do that because it’s too close to the nerves. But everything else he wi be dealing with.

I will also need another extraction on tooth bottom left side. Not sure if he said he’ll do an implant there because there’s not enough space or something like that.

Aside from all these extractions. I will need cavities fixed on my four front teeth and some root canals on a few.

He was literally looking at every tooth and told the assistant to write things that needs to be done for it. So literally almost every tooth needs fixing.

After ALL this is done. Braces is recommended for the bottom teeth to fix my bite and also to straighten it because my molars are growing inwards due to the missing teeth.

Woo that was A LOT to take in. I am glad I went but right now I am dealing with the consequences of what could’ve been avoided years ago. I hate myself for what I put myself into. But it’s done. I made it to the chair. And let me recovery begin.

I’m waiting on the chair right now for the dentist. I just took x-rays and it’s not looking good. The girl who took my x-rays said a lot of pulling, a lot of roots to take out. Might need braces. She also said I have all my bones so she’s even talking about implants and bridges. But she told me to let the dentist look at me first before we do anything. I told her about my main concern of the visible cracked tooth. And she told me that I have multiple teeth that is like that. And let the dentist see me first. I’m so miserable right now. She did say that she’s glad I came in now and not years later. She said a lot of work needs to be done and good thing I’m young and there’s nothing he can’t fix.

You are very brave, helpmex. Very well done. Sorry to read that you got a complete guessed x-ray assesment with implants suggested while the only tooth that YOU were interested in was fully ignored... and this all from a dental nurse. I wished she would have been a bit more empathetic and sensitive to your anxiety and respecting your needs. Hope your dentist was able to make up for that and encourage you.. and most importantly fix the tooth that brought you there in the first place!

Give yourself a pat on the back and let us know how the rest of the visit went! Sending you a virtual hug.

X-rays were done I gagged a few times but the girl doing it was very generous and told me to just breathe and asked if I needed a break. I said no keep going. X-rays came out really good and clear but multiple problems to fix. And here it goes:

Top 3 teeth in the left (including the visible tooth) will need to be extracted. That’s scheduled for 2/14. A flipper will be made for my visible tooth (as requested by me) and that is not covered by insurance because it’s cosmetic and that’s $350 USD. On 2/14 he will do extraction and bone graft on all those three tooth. Will take about 3-4 months to heal. Then I will go back to implant the screws? For it to be prepared for implants. Once that’s done another 3-4 months to heal and a crown or fake teeth will be put on.

Bottom three teeth on right will also need to be extracted and bone graft with same procedures.

He will refer to an oral surgeon who will remove the broken wisdom tooth on top right as well as an impacted tooth that’s by the roof of my mouth. And also on the left top side there seems to be a tooth remnant that he wants to remove because it’s very close to my sinus pockets and also infected at the moment. He said he can’t do that because it’s too close to the nerves. But everything else he wi be dealing with.

I will also need another extraction on tooth bottom left side. Not sure if he said he’ll do an implant there because there’s not enough space or something like that.

Aside from all these extractions. I will need cavities fixed on my four front teeth and some root canals on a few.

He was literally looking at every tooth and told the assistant to write things that needs to be done for it. So literally almost every tooth needs fixing.

After ALL this is done. Braces is recommended for the bottom teeth to fix my bite and also to straighten it because my molars are growing inwards due to the missing teeth.

Woo that was A LOT to take in. I am glad I went but right now I am dealing with the consequences of what could’ve been avoided years ago. I hate myself for what I put myself into. But it’s done. I made it to the chair. And let me recovery begin.
It sounds like you've got a good plan in place though and it's all going to get fixed and they're not trying to scam you like the last place. I think everyone here will say the same thing, but please don't beat yourself up over what might have been if you'd gone earlier, you can't change that but you're doing it now and you've already made so much progress since posting here at the start of the week. Hope you're feeling pretty proud of yourself, you certainly should be ?

I am so glad you made it through and seem to still be positive about it. Don't feel guilty about the what ifs on whether or not you could have prevented it. As I have told others on here, regular dental cleanings and checkups do not always guarantee preventing major issues. I have had regular checkups, x rays and cleanings every six months, and last year had a whole host of issues at once, including a large abscess on my front tooth that apparently flew under the dental radar for more than a year or two. I ended up with two extractions, two root canals, two apicoectomies, and several fillings and crowns. I am not done yet. So those things happen, even with regular preventative care.

I wish you the best with your journey. How are you feeling about it, other than overwhelmed? Are you okay with the work that needs to be done?

I wish you the best with your journey. How are you feeling about it, other than overwhelmed? Are you okay with the work that needs to be done?

I am not ok with the work that needs to be done, but at this point there's really no other choice is there? It's gonna be a lot of work, a lot of pain, a lot of mental stress, and a very long journey. But I'm ready for it. I've been living 31 years of my life not being able to enjoy my food, not being able to smile when I really want to smile, and also not being able to be sociable like the person I am. My teeth has made me insecure, made me anti-social, and also made me very depressed. I want to live the rest of my life being the person I'm supposed to be. And in order for me to do that, I need to get this work done.

I forgot to mention. I told the dentist of what the dentist previously did with me. With the whole laser procedure when I had the infection. He told me that it wasn't the correct procedure to be done, nor was it necessary, and that it might've caused further damage on my bottom right teeth. SO not only did I get scammed of $6k, I also got work done that wasn't correct. I mean it did take the pain away, but other than that it was pointless. So there goes that!

they did the same thing with me when I switched dentists after a move. He went over each and every tooth. I really hated that part and it was suffocating to hear that the majority of my teeth had some sort of issue. I had twice yearly dental exams and cleanings pretty much my entire life with only a few short gaps here and there and I'm 38, so even with regular care, some of us just have a crappier time with teeth stuff. I'm further along in my journey than you, and from my experience, the first few appointments are challenging. It feels like there is no end in sight and its hard not to feel overwhelmed if you think about all the stuff that needs to get done. Once you push through those first few procedures, your anxiety will lessen and the end won't seem so far off. When that happens, its very encouraging. I hope that all makes sense, but I guess my advice is to take it one thing at a time. This was a really rough day, but you have a plan and soon enough you'll see tons of positive changes with appearance, eating, pain, etc, and it will feel really good. You are so incredibly brave and deserve some sort of treat for today. I really hope you keep us updated when you go for the first treatment on the 14th. We are all rooting for you!

I am not ok with the work that needs to be done, but at this point there's really no other choice is there?

This is a very good point. It makes me a bit uncomfortable writing this right now and it is only my own opinion. You have made a huge progress now and seeing a dentist for the first time is really a huge step so you have a reason to celebrate. I could imagine that you need some time to process all that was told today and the suggested treatment plan.

Thinking of your visit there are some things that make me wonder..

Someone who sees a dentist for a very first time after a long period of time and who is really scared should be treated in terms of small steps in order not to get overwhelmed. The aim shouldn't be to treat all your teeth as quickly as possible but to build confidence and process in steps as big as you feel comfortable with. There should also be some priorities in terms of which treatment is necessary for first and what can wait. It's important for you not only to get your teeth fixed but to be able to keep them that way and to see a dentist regularly after that. I am a bit surprised that they just planned so much treatment at once and all in your first visit.

In dentistry there are some things that need to get considered when it comes to planning treatment. There are things that are medically necessary and have the highest priority in order to get rid of bacteria (cleaning, extractions, fillings, root canal treatments). Another thing that is necessary is to restore function which means to make you able to eat as quickly as possible. This can be done by immediate dentures that would firstly make you able to have teeth fairly quickly and also would give you some time to think about what would you like to do long term. Implants and bone grafts is something that should get planned ahead and you should be given enough time to think of it and also some alternatives you have. Implants are expensive and I am wondering whether they gave you other options as well or explained things properly to you or just stated that implants is what you need... I am also wondering whether they plan to give you a flipper just to restore the visible teeth or if they suggested for you to get immediate dentures to get all missing teeth replaced for the next months.

Also a dentist shouldn't be talking badly about other dentist or other work..

So again, you have been doing amazingly and have been really brave and courageous and now you are on your journey which is great. I just would like to encourage you to stay in control and think about the suggested treatment and see whether it is how you would like to approach things or whether you would like to maybe get a second opinion.

Back