• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fearful 30 year old

HelpMex.

You are indeed brave and I would be a bit on overload with everything suggested and all they talked of. I so agree with Enerate and the rest you are so amazingly brave in this and have such a resiliant spirit to fact this , that is huge. I must say I also agree with Enarete , that going step by step and not doing too much to start is really a great way to go. Its builds trust with the dental team and its not as overwhelming as having a huge plan right away. Starting with small necessary things then moving onto larger procedures. You certainly have the bravery, I would just want to build the trust and feel the peace step by step without feeling rushed to do things so quick . and maybe you just want it done and over and full speed ahead but.. from one anxious patient to another. I'm really glad that I built up trust with my last dentist over the course of a year and a half step by step. and that was just one implant and a few crowns but done spread over 18 months.

Also doing smaller things you can tell. Will they take their time with me? listen to me? give me painfree anesthetic? honor and respect my wishes and preferences? as things go along.

I too would think about a 2nd opinion if you are not at peace with all that needs to be done. You are on a positive momentum and you are doing great, just want you to make sure to get the best , patient, gentle , respectful care possible. Not to say it is not this office.. but just to say honor your own thoughts and feelings whatever they are.

This is a very good point. It makes me a bit uncomfortable writing this right now and it is only my own opinion. You have made a huge progress now and seeing a dentist for the first time is really a huge step so you have a reason to celebrate. I could imagine that you need some time to process all that was told today and the suggested treatment plan.

Thinking of your visit there are some things that make me wonder..

Someone who sees a dentist for a very first time after a long period of time and who is really scared should be treated in terms of small steps in order not to get overwhelmed. The aim shouldn't be to treat all your teeth as quickly as possible but to build confidence and process in steps as big as you feel comfortable with. There should also be some priorities in terms of which treatment is necessary for first and what can wait. It's important for you not only to get your teeth fixed but to be able to keep them that way and to see a dentist regularly after that. I am a bit surprised that they just planned so much treatment at once and all in your first visit.

In dentistry there are some things that need to get considered when it comes to planning treatment. There are things that are medically necessary and have the highest priority in order to get rid of bacteria (cleaning, extractions, fillings, root canal treatments). Another thing that is necessary is to restore function which means to make you able to eat as quickly as possible. This can be done by immediate dentures that would firstly make you able to have teeth fairly quickly and also would give you some time to think about what would you like to do long term. Implants and bone grafts is something that should get planned ahead and you should be given enough time to think of it and also some alternatives you have. Implants are expensive and I am wondering whether they gave you other options as well or explained things properly to you or just stated that implants is what you need... I am also wondering whether they plan to give you a flipper just to restore the visible teeth or if they suggested for you to get immediate dentures to get all missing teeth replaced for the next months.

Also a dentist shouldn't be talking badly about other dentist or other work..

So again, you have been doing amazingly and have been really brave and courageous and now you are on your journey which is great. I just would like to encourage you to stay in control and think about the suggested treatment and see whether it is how you would like to approach things or whether you would like to maybe get a second opinion.

He didn't really push me to do anything. He was explaining of what he feels needs to be done first. He said the first thing he wants to take care of is all the broken teeth. I see where you are coming from that it does feel a little rush. A second opinion might be good, but can I be honest that I really don't want to go to another dentist and go through this all over again?

I did a lot of research on this dentist, and its nothing but good reviews about him. Whether this be his bedside manners, his sincerity and honesty.

I wasn't correct about HIM being the one that talked about the other dentist, it was the assistant that did my x-ray that said that.

I feel really comfortable with him, and he makes me feel a sense of ease. He wanted to do my bottom right first, but I told him my main concern is the visible cracked tooth. And he said he will work on the top 3 left first then.

Now he didn't really explain other options for me. He went straight to the point. Now I'm a little confused..........

Sorry, really didn't mean to confuse you, after all I wasn't there and have no idea about what treatment you need. It just felt like they were pushing a bit. It's good to read they didn't and it sounds like they were sensitive to your priorities as well. Everyone is different and your gut feeling is the most important thing so if you felt comfortable then all is well.

Look forward to read about your progress and already keeping my fingers crossed for the 2/14! Let us know how you get on :)

This is a very good point. It makes me a bit uncomfortable writing this right now and it is only my own opinion. You have made a huge progress now and seeing a dentist for the first time is really a huge step so you have a reason to celebrate. I could imagine that you need some time to process all that was told today and the suggested treatment plan.

Thinking of your visit there are some things that make me wonder..

Someone who sees a dentist for a very first time after a long period of time and who is really scared should be treated in terms of small steps in order not to get overwhelmed. The aim shouldn't be to treat all your teeth as quickly as possible but to build confidence and process in steps as big as you feel comfortable with. There should also be some priorities in terms of which treatment is necessary for first and what can wait. It's important for you not only to get your teeth fixed but to be able to keep them that way and to see a dentist regularly after that. I am a bit surprised that they just planned so much treatment at once and all in your first visit.

In dentistry there are some things that need to get considered when it comes to planning treatment. There are things that are medically necessary and have the highest priority in order to get rid of bacteria (cleaning, extractions, fillings, root canal treatments). Another thing that is necessary is to restore function which means to make you able to eat as quickly as possible. This can be done by immediate dentures that would firstly make you able to have teeth fairly quickly and also would give you some time to think about what would you like to do long term. Implants and bone grafts is something that should get planned ahead and you should be given enough time to think of it and also some alternatives you have. Implants are expensive and I am wondering whether they gave you other options as well or explained things properly to you or just stated that implants is what you need... I am also wondering whether they plan to give you a flipper just to restore the visible teeth or if they suggested for you to get immediate dentures to get all missing teeth replaced for the next months.

Also a dentist shouldn't be talking badly about other dentist or other work..

So again, you have been doing amazingly and have been really brave and courageous and now you are on your journey which is great. I just would like to encourage you to stay in control and think about the suggested treatment and see whether it is how you would like to approach things or whether you would like to maybe get a second opinion.

Yes, Enarete sums up what I am thinking as well. That is why I asked if you were comfortabke with it. You can ask for a plan that starts with only the absolute necessary work and go from there as you feel comfortable or can afford it.

Implants are expensive, but I am betting they are suggesting that because your bone is good right now. I am getting an implant next month and although I would like to get another, I can't afford to do so, and the oral surgeon said the time frame is limited once the tooth is extracted, but that it can vary from person to person. I may have 2 months or a year to decide.

I'm sorry as well, it just seemed alot to think about for the first time, but at the same time we weren't there to know how they presented it , the tone, the body language and all the other ways they treated you. like if they were gentle etc. I remember going to a prosthodontist once knowing I needed alot of work but he gave me this whole list of my whole mouth and it would be 42,000. eeks.. I could not do that.. Thankfully my new dentist did give me a comprehensive plan and said we would do it at my speed, whatever I can afford when I can which I scheduled a retreatment for the week after . I had seen him a few times before to finish off some work from my previous dentist who left so was familiar wtih him a little before he gave me the whole thing.. It sounds like even though they gave you alot to think on the dentist has some great reviews and you seem to feel a little comfortable with him and that is a good thing :).

Well done! I agree with the others, you've been so courageous. Please don't hate yourself for waiting till now. You could look at it the other way, if you had left it another ten or so years, you would need more done. That's what I'm reminding myself of. Yes, I could have saved needing some work if I went twenty years ago, but if I'd waited another twenty, my worst fears may have been realised. I genuinely thought losing every single tooth was a real possibility. I'll probably have a very long journey, but it's all going to be moving forward, not back. So I'm grateful in a way.

I'm glad you feel comfortable with him, that's so important. As others have said, take it one step at a time and focus only on what you have to each appointment.

You'll do great!

Sorry I disappeared for awhile. Had some personal issues to deal with. Anyways, today is the day. In 9 hours I will be going to the dentist to get my first extractions done. I don't know whether I'm nervous or excited or just plain scared lol

I didn't sleep much last night thinking about all the bad things that can happen. But I'm also excited because this will be the start of my journey. I'm most likely going to start a journal here just so others that are feeling the same way I feel can look for some sort of inspirations.

Will keep you guys posted.

Sorry I disappeared for awhile. Had some personal issues to deal with. Anyways, today is the day. In 9 hours I will be going to the dentist to get my first extractions done. I don't know whether I'm nervous or excited or just plain scared lol

I didn't sleep much last night thinking about all the bad things that can happen. But I'm also excited because this will be the start of my journey. I'm most likely going to start a journal here just so others that are feeling the same way I feel can look for some sort of inspirations.

Will keep you guys posted.

Good luck today! Let us know how it goes!

Good luck at your appointment, may all go well and may they put you at ease and make you as comfortable as possible. :clover: Look forward to read your journal!

I was really happy to get the notification that you posted! I really hope it all goes smoothly today. I'd love to read your journal and follow you along on your journey xx

Thank you all for the wishes. One hour left to go. I feel like crying

Hope it goes well! :grouphug:

Thinking of you Helpmex!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Let us know how it goes . ! hope they are good and kind to you!!

Hi helpmex. Thank you for sharing your feelings and story even though it is so hard to do so. You being vulnerable helps everyone else feeling vulnerable and alone too. So you're helping many people by sharing.

How are things now?

Back