• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Fearing my 1st dental visit in 10 years

S

stevo82

Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum. In 3 days time I am about to visit the dentist for the 1st time since I was 17, im 27 now. I have never had tooth ache as im sure I would of visited if I was in pain. I have also never had a filling or any type of dental injection. Although I had a plate brace for many years as a child.

I am from the uk and I have moved to a new area and my fiancee has made me go to the dentist. To be honest I am really worried about what the dentist will say when he looks at my teeth after not going for so long. My main worry is I think my gums have receeded over the years and I have a build up of plaque especially on the back of my 4 middle bottom teeth. Im mostly worried about my gums. They don't overly bleed but the more I look at them and then google about gums the more worried I am. I know its my own fault but im really nervous.

Hi Steve

First, Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Second, stay away from Google. Constantly looking at Google for dental information, 99% of which probably does not apply to you, can give you "Googleitis." ;D

This is a nasty condition that can increase stress, worry and doubts. If you have tartar this can be removed easily and a good cleaning will help with gum healing. The dentist might also give you some mouthwash called Periogard. This helps kill the bacteria that causes gum disease.

Dentists do not lecture anymore. Tartar and other things are common.

You are basing your worries on faulty data. You are going to do great. At your age dental problems tend to be fixed easily. You are doing a great thing by being proactive with this, well done.

Blessings. :)

Hey steve,

You are not alone !
I too have not been to the dentist in 9 - 10 years. I have the exact same problem as you tarter buildup on the lower 4 teeth, and swollen gums. I too have been looking up conditions on google and getting more and more nervous! I made an appointment with a dentist yesterday, i am going November 9th. The website really gave me confidence when it said they use modern technology to ensure comfort.

Please keep in touch friend and let everyone know how it goes !
:)

Thank you for you responses. They really helped.

So I went to my dentist appointment this morning. He told me my teeth were fine, no problems. He said I must be doing something right as I hadn't visited a dentist for 10 years. And he removed the tartar from my bottom teeth.

I'm a little confused that I didn't have an x-ray or no cleaning below the gum line, and the appointment felt abit rushed to be honest. Although the majority of the tartar has been removed (there was alot) My teeth are now rough and I can still see some on my teeth. Nothing was mentioned about seeing a hygienist but i'm thinking maybe I should?? Would he have mentioned it if it was needed.

It was a NHS appointment not private. I'm thinking I should get a second opinion with a private appointment, not that I can really afford it.

Thank you for you responses. They really helped.

So I went to my dentist appointment this morning. He told me my teeth were fine, no problems. He said I must be doing something right as I hadn't visited a dentist for 10 years. And he removed the tartar from my bottom teeth.

I'm a little confused that I didn't have an x-ray or no cleaning below the gum line, and the appointment felt abit rushed to be honest. Although the majority of the tartar has been removed (there was alot) My teeth are now rough and I can still see some on my teeth. Nothing was mentioned about seeing a hygienist but i'm thinking maybe I should?? Would he have mentioned it if it was needed.

It was a NHS appointment not private. I'm thinking I should get a second opinion with a private appointment, not that I can really afford it.

Goodness me that does sound like an NHS rush job. I brush and floss daily but still see a hygienist every 6 months for half an hour and she's UK trained.
I think the UK has different rules re x-rays..in UK it is seen as a no no to do 'unnecessary xrays' whereas in other countries it is seen as negligence to not do them for every new patient (thereafter it depends).
Most private UK dentists would maybe have the modern lower dose x-ray machines and I am sure if you hadn't been for years would do some, unless you are really young.
It very much sounds like you have been shortchanged on the toothcleaning though...it is only included in NHS check-up in England 'if necessary' lol....and many places suggest NHS one is substandard and get people to see their hygienist at an extra cost. (not sure if technically allowed to do this). Did they have a hygienist? If so you could probably opt to see her and just pay a bit extra for it.
How long was your booked slot out of interest and how long were you in there, just for the record?

Back