• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feeling sick & panicky

H

Helenp

Well after 5 years of agonising & ignoring my teeth , I have found a nhs dentist
and my first app is on tues HELP!!!
i know they won't do anything apart from look in my mouth, but the worst is to come as I have not had treatment before without being sedated. My fear is I won't go through with it & will run from the dentist , I really hope he is a gd dentist & will coax me through it , as I really need to do this :(

The first appointment is just for you to have a word with the dentist and meet them. Explain how afraid you are feeling and why. They usually like to have a look as this helps for them to be able to see what treatment you may need. They may want to do an x ray as well because this tells them what is happening under the gums.

If you don't feel comfortable, or that you could work with this dentist you don't have to go back. Most dentists understand that we feel afraid and nervous and they do their best to lay our fears to rest. It is a two way relationship and between you, you will be able to start with the small stuff to gain confidence and as things progress you will feel much better about going. This time of wondering and worry and totally stressing yourself out is the worst time.

Once you have been and see just what treatment you need if any, you will feel much better. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Thank you Carole
yes you are right , waiting is the worst bit . I def need treatment
I have broken bits of teeth left in my mouth , plus have lost a couple more in last week :(
but if I don't feel happy with dentist , I will carry on searching

Back