• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Four crown bridge came out need #7,#8,and #10 extracted

L

Little Bill

Lost 4 crown bridge. #7-#10. Have no upper front teeth for Christmas.

Fitted for a partial today. Do extractions tomorrow.

However, I am very nervous about having the "little parts" of what are left of #7,#8, and #10 extracted.

Do I need IV sedation?

Do I have to get teeth extracted now or can I wait 1-2 months.

I am worried that with extractions I will swell and partial will fit worse than if I get a partial now without extract bits and then extract teeth 1-2 months after the holidays and have partial "relined"?

Unfortunately the lab is work on the partial as I write this.

Hi Little Bill,

It sounds like you’d be best to have the tooth remnants removed as soon as possible. Leaving bits of teeth in can risk pain and/ or infection over time so you’d be running a fairly high risk of that by leaving things for a month or two.

In relation to sedation, it’s a personal choice depending on the extent of any dental anxiety as well as the procedure. I can’t comment on the simplicity or complexity of your teeth but in most cases like this it’s fine to proceed under local anaesthetic only. If your dentist didn’t suggest otherwise I would take it as a good sign.

The fit of an ‘immediate denture’ is never ideal unfortunately due to the nature of lab technician have to estimate how it will look after tooth removal. As you mention there can be a degree of temporary swelling but most of the changes come from the natural healing process of the gum and bone following tooth removal.

In most cases this necessitates an alternative (and generally superior) approach after 3-6 months such as a new partial denture or dental implants.

The sooner the teeth remnants are removed the sooner you’ll get to this more stable and durable result.

Hope this helps,

Niall

Dr. Niall Neeson,

Thanks Big Time for you quick and detailed response. It certainly exceeded my expectation. Your reply is indicative of a superior individual. Kudos.

I am having my extractions tomorrow afternoon and your response really reassured me that I am going about my dental in the right fashion.

Helped a lot,

Little Bill

You’re very welcome. All the best for it. Everything’s going to be ok ?

Back