• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full mouth extraction without dentures?

S

SP

Hi all!

So I'm facing full mouth extraction soon, most people seem to be getting immediate dentures, but I really don't think I want to deal with them.
Can those of you who chose not to get immediate dentures let me know how it was for them?? I know everyone heals differently, just looking to hear from other people who went through the same thing.
I don' have to go out in public, even if I did I'm not worried about what people think of me being toothless, I just want to be comfortable.

Thanks so much!

I actually did have immediates made but I didn't use them, except on the very rare occasions I had to go outside. They were nice to have as back up, but I spent most of my time indoors so I didn't need them.

They help protect the sockets immediately after extraction, but as long as you're careful I imagine you'll be fine. I only wore my immediates for 24 hours post extraction, then I didn't bother, and I had no problems healing. Stick to yoghurt etc. I recommend protein shakes for the first few days following extraction. It'll drive you a bit insane not being able to eat solids, but the risk of dry socket disappears after a couple of days so you can then experiment with food a bit more.

Things like mashed potato, mince, well cooked soft veggies etc are not too difficult to eat. You can mash stuff against the roof of your mouth, and once your gums are healed you can use them.

It might be difficult at first, but practice makes perfect. I have my permanent dentures now but I often don't wear them at home and continue to eat without them. The only thing I really cant eat is tough meat and a couple of other things.

You might talk differently at first, but after a week or two I sounded normal again, so that was fine.

Just be gentle with yourself for the first few days. Don't examine the extraction sites in the mirror. They will not look pretty, even if they're fine :p

Also it'll feel weird for a while, not having teeth. Your brain gets a bit confused. It can be a bit unsettling and make you feel upset, but I promise it passes. :)

Back