• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gauze doesn't help with bleeding. Bleeding restarted

  • Thread starter Thread starter skladfin
  • Start date Start date
S

skladfin

Junior member
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
5
Hi, I had 2 of my wisdom teeth (upper and lower) removed roughly 5 hours ago.

Doctor said I can just use 3 gauzes and my bleeding would be a little better, then I can let it go and let the blood clot itself.

Well, it hasn't worked out that way 5 hours later. Within the first 2 hours things were fine. Bleeding wasn't getting any better as I was changing gauze every 25minutes or so(with a little pressure). The 3rd hour hit and the anaestesic wore off and immediately I was overcome with pain, and with a sudden 'second wind' of bleeding. It started bleeding double the amount, and I replaced the gauze. I took a couple Tylenol pills to cope with the pain.

But gauze didn't help the bleeding, and now my mom made me take out the gauze to see if the blood would clot by itself, but so far it just keep bleeding on. What should I do?

Thank you
 
Keep the gauze in for an hour at a time without changing it as keep taking it out will start the bleeding up again. If that still doesn't stop the bleeding try biting down on a damp black teabag as the tannin helps. You need to bite down quite hard to get the pressure to slow the bleeding - I didn't to start with so the nurses kept having to remind me! Ice might help too if you arn't already doing that. And don't panic - easier said than done but keep your heartrate as low as possible - watch some nice TV, propped up on pillows and it will stop bleeding soon. Keep on top of the pain by taking the painkillers around the clock even if you have to set alarms through the night - its easier to keep the pain away than to get rid of it when it gets bad. Good luck :star:
 
If the bleeding still hasn't stopped (it looks from your post as if it's around 15 hours later now?), do see a doctor. Sometimes prolonged bleeding can be a clue that there may be a problem with your blood, and it would be good to know about this beforehand in case you ever needed any other surgery. I hope though that it has stopped by now 8-)!
 
Hey guys. Thanks so much for the response! Bleeding did stop after a few hours without using gauze and just letting it free-roam. Now there's good clots forming.

It's the second night... I now have a slight fever though... 38C or 100F depending on where you are. And the neighbouring teeth where the wisdom was pulled, is sore as heck. I think the dentist used the neighbour teeth as a leverage to get the wisdom out ? *:'( Can't sleep at all due to the fever and sore teeth.

I only have tylenol, so tomorrow my parents will go buy some Advil ibuprofen so I can shift between these 2 and not take too much of either. Hopefully I will be fine after a few days...
 
If you have a fever call your dentist or doctor, they can give you antibiotics to make sure there isn't an infection. Glad the bleeding stopped
 
After some forced sleep, fever's gone down back to 37.2C now naturally...(95F?). If it persists I'll definitely take your advice and call the dentist.

Some real good came out of taking out the wistom teeth though. I now weight a little less. Finally I'm starting enjoy a sharper chin and double eye lids thanks to the excruciating pain while eating haha.
 
After some forced sleep, fever's gone down back to 37.2C now naturally...(95F?). If it persists I'll definitely take your advice and call the dentist.

Some real good came out of taking out the wistom teeth though. I now weight a little less. Finally I'm starting enjoy a sharper chin and double eye lids thanks to the excruciating pain while eating haha.

If your temp is 95F I'd be worried :P

Have you called your dentist? The medicine probably brought the fever down, but if there's an infection it'll still be there.
 
sorry not 95F haha! Apologies I come in Canada and I just put up an estimate of 37C, but turns out I was way off haha.

This morning I am 98.96F = 37.2C. I THINK that's not too bad?
 
Woke up at normal temperature today. No more fever. No more pain(off painkillers). Went to the dentist and she told me there's no inflammation either, and the gray/white stuff? is forming as well. So thankfully im on my way to a good recovery.

Thanks guys for putting my mind at ease!
 
Back
Top