• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting four molars removed, TERRIFIED. :(

  • Thread starter Thread starter Murkraz
  • Start date Start date
M

Murkraz

Junior member
Joined
Aug 15, 2012
Messages
2
Hi, so here it is.

Since my last visit (3 years ago) I have a developed an anxiety disorder with an annoying catch. Whenever I feel panic, I feel like I can't swallow - and I fear that lying down in that chair for 30+ minutes will make me feel like I'm gonna choke on my tongue or tear the dentist's tools out of my mouth dramatically lol.

My top wisdom teeth came in fine about 5 or 6 years ago. One of them has a cavity that snuck in from the side however. Both my bottom wisdom teeth are under the gums still, impacted I imagine. One of them has had a fowl smell all week after a short-lived infection. And lastly my first molar on the bottom right side cracked after eating popcorn and a cavity has developed in the pulp. So in total I have to get the top right and two bottom wisdom teeth removed on top of the lower first molar that suffered the popcorn/cavity injury.

4 teeth seems like a lot!!! I'm terrified. Will I need a local or general anesthetic? General seems scary.

Any words of reassurance would go miles. :( :shame:
 
Last edited:
Re: Getting two molars removed, TERRIFIED.

Hi Murkraz,

I had a molar removed about a month ago. It was my first extraction and I was terrified too. This tooth was worn/broken down to the gumline and I couldn't imagine how they'd get it out.

Extraction is actually a very easy process and doesn't involve any tugging or pulling. Basically after your mouth is good and numb, the dentist will gently push the tooth from side to side to get it to separate from the gums. There's no pain involved at all. For me the dentist pushed several times, about 5-10 seconds each, maybe six times total. And then she said, "It's out!" I swear I never felt a thing, not even the feeling of the tooth coming out. There were no pliers or anything nasty like that.

The whole thing took maybe 5-10 minutes and was the easiest thing I ever had! Also my dentist did it while I was sitting up, since there was no "precision" work. I thought people were sugar-coating it when they said extractions were easy, but it really was!

Good luck with your upcoming extractions, you'll be in and out in no time.
 
Re: Getting two molars removed, TERRIFIED.

Hi Murkraz,

I had a molar removed about a month ago. It was my first extraction and I was terrified too. This tooth was worn/broken down to the gumline and I couldn't imagine how they'd get it out.

Extraction is actually a very easy process and doesn't involve any tugging or pulling. Basically after your mouth is good and numb, the dentist will gently push the tooth from side to side to get it to separate from the gums. There's no pain involved at all. For me the dentist pushed several times, about 5-10 seconds each, maybe six times total. And then she said, "It's out!" I swear I never felt a thing, not even the feeling of the tooth coming out. There were no pliers or anything nasty like that.

The whole thing took maybe 5-10 minutes and was the easiest thing I ever had! Also my dentist did it while I was sitting up, since there was no "precision" work. I thought people were sugar-coating it when they said extractions were easy, but it really was!

Good luck with your upcoming extractions, you'll be in and out in no time.

Thank you very much for the kind words.

I think I will get two removed during my visit and then will get the other two removed two weeks after. My Mother explained that it was a 5 minute procedure for her as well so that takes away a lot of the anxiety. I can't imagine sitting the chair for an hour or two lol.
 
Back
Top