• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting lower dentures need advice

S

sixpackabs

First, let me preface my questions by saying I think it is great that this forum exists. Like so many others, I am very concerned about losing my teeth, but I won't burden you guys with my fears. I have read quite a few posts, and get my strength through other people's concerns and fears.
However, I do have a question. I am 49 years old, and will soon be having my bottom teeth pulled. I've always heard that having lower dentures is a little more difficult to deal with when compared to uppers. So far, I have very few problems with my upper teeth! (Fingers crossed!)
I am fortunate to have 4 weeks of vacation that I haven't used this year. I really want to return to work as symptom free as possible. On the other hand, I don't want to use all four weeks of vacation. Would two weeks be sufficient time to recupperate and return to work? Naturally, I'm sure I will still be self conscious, but just hoping that after two weeks I should be able to talk comfortably, and hopefully not spit my dentures across the room if I sneeze?
Any suggestions? Is two weeks enough, or should I consider more?

First, let me preface my questions by saying I think it is great that this forum exists. Like so many others, I am very concerned about losing my teeth, but I won't burden you guys with my fears. I have read quite a few posts, and get my strength through other people's concerns and fears.
However, I do have a question. I am 49 years old, and will soon be having my bottom teeth pulled. I've always heard that having lower dentures is a little more difficult to deal with when compared to uppers. So far, I have very few problems with my upper teeth! (Fingers crossed!)
I am fortunate to have 4 weeks of vacation that I haven't used this year. I really want to return to work as symptom free as possible. On the other hand, I don't want to use all four weeks of vacation. Would two weeks be sufficient time to recupperate and return to work? Naturally, I'm sure I will still be self conscious, but just hoping that after two weeks I should be able to talk comfortably, and hopefully not spit my dentures across the room if I sneeze?
Any suggestions? Is two weeks enough, or should I consider more?

Two weeks would be plenty, I took off , a thursday and friday and the next week, And i was fine going back to work, When i had my upper done. It was a total of 11 days, counting the weekends.

If you can I would strongly suggest that you have at least two implants placed to help hold in the denture and support the remaining bone. Since you are young it is also nice to bone graft the ridge so that it won't dissapear in a few years.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have a upper and lower denture. Like you the upper gave me few issues, but the lower does take a bit longer to adjust to. I had long weekend off, Friday-Monday, and that was fine for me.

I eventually opted for mini implants to secure the lower denture, as the regular implants were way out of my price range. Maybe someday I will opt for the regular implants, but the minis are doing the trick for now. The denture is secure. Actually I don't even notice the lower anymore, unless a pesky tiny piece of food gets in, which is very rare.

Hope this helps

Back