• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting really scared now

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kat75
  • Start date Start date
Kat75

Kat75

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
119
Location
VA, US (formerly UK)
Well, it's less than 48 hours now until I get my wisdom teeth removed, and I'm starting to panick.

I've been feeling sick all day and I can't eat. I had one bread roll today, which I had to force down.

I'm not sure I can do this. My heart is racing and my hands are sweaty. I feel physically ill.

I am so close to cancelling the appointment, but I know that would only be delaying the inevitable.

How can I get through the remainder of today and especially tomorrow(when no doubt I'll be panicking even more)?

I am so scared!

Katx[smiley=scared.gif]
 
Hi Kat,

I understand how you're feeling and I'm sorry that you are going through this right now. I've been in your shoes and I promise, that you can do it and you will feel an enormous sense of relief and pride [smiley=cloud9.gif] once it's all over!! You are absolutely right about delaying the inevitable, not to mention the last thing you want to do is have to go through these emotions again in a week or two if you postpone it.

You are going to do just great and be able to come on here and post your success story for others to use as a source of strength. There will be plenty of us thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way. :grouphug:

Just keep reminding yourself that you are strong and that you can do it!!!!!

Perhaps a little :sleepyjuice: to relax yourself tonight? ;)

:grouphug:
 
Thanks for your kind words of support.

Unfortunately, nothing seems to help tonight. I am in a state of total panic!

I can't sleep and I feel sick to my stomach. I don't want to act like a big baby, but I am so scared, I can't help it.

I'm trying to take my mind off the procedure by watching TV, but I can't concentrate on anything.

I so much want to call the Oral Surgeon's office in the morning and cancel. Then go back to bed and hide for the next few weeks.

I feel so pathetic

Katx*:'(
 
It's perfectly normal to feel afraid - most people are at least a little apprehensive of surgical procedures - not just dental ones. You don't have to be the 'perfect relaxed' patient...they won't be expecting this...even though you may go into meltdown just for a check-up where a fair percentage of other people will not....it doesn't mean a greater percentage of these same people wouldn't be having a bit of a sleepless night before a procedure they hadn't experienced before...so what you are feeling is pretty normal even for someone without too much background anxiety...so don't be so hard on yourself and try to relax and if you want to indulge the nerves and cry..that's fine too...it will all be behind you soon....it's okay to be a drama queen when you get there as well..don't hold your feelings in but do try to relax as much as you can. Best wishes :grouphug:
 
Thanks brit.

I wish it was all over already! I don't know how I'm supposed to make it through today...

I am scared I'm going to have a full blown panic attack in the chair tomorrow and the oral surgeon and his staff are going to think I'm pathetic.

*:'(
 
Thanks brit.

I wish it was all over already! I don't know how I'm supposed to make it through today...

I am scared I'm going to have a full blown panic attack in the chair tomorrow and the oral surgeon and his staff are going to think I'm pathetic.

*:'(

It doesn't really matter what they think...they will have seen it all before and you are maybe less likely to have a panic attack if you are honest about how you feel instead of trying to repress it...shedding tears seems to work better than having a private panic attack since people seem to know how to respond to tears.

Your OS was reassuring wasn't he at the consultation and knows how scared you are so he won't be expecting miracles...honestly...you are paying remember it is up to you how you behave (within reason) and their job to make you feel slightly better about it by their behaviour. Take your OH as far along with you as you can- maybe until you are 'under'. Focus on how kind he was and how much easier that can/will make it when it comes to it :grouphug:
 
Hi Kat...being nervous is expected by the OS and thier staff. I had oral surgery just under two months ago. When I sat in the chair, I stiffen up immediately. The nurse noticed and was immediately reassuring me about the surgery. When the surgeon came into the room, and asked how I was doing, the nurse was letting him know that I was very nervous. He was very kind and understanding about everything.

There is no need to be self conscious about being nervous...they see nervous patients everyday and will help you through your fears[smiley=hugging.gif]
 
Sorry I hadn't logged in before now to read your message but at least I'm well in time to wish you well for tomorrow. The last 24 hours building up to an appointment are definitely the worst of all because you are so close you know you can't cancel (and in your heart you don't want to anyway) and yet the hours until the appointment seem so very many. Isn't it funny how time can seem to stand still and also move too fast or too slow all at once. It's silly to say try and relax, we all say that but we know, having been through it ourselves, the more you try to relax and not think of anything dental related, the harder it is. You can't even turn on the television any more and bury yourself in a 'dream world' far from the reality of what's really going on because every blessed advert these days seems to be for toothpaste, denture fixative, denture cleaning or something to do with teeth. There's no hiding from it.

But somehow, you will be strong, you will get through the next hours and will wake up tomorrow morning, feeling absolutely exhausted from lack of sleep but you will get to the dentist and sit in that chair. So you cry, you shake, you do whatever and however your fear manifests itself but there is no reason to feel silly about it. Dentists have seen it all before, they know and understand that people like us are afraid and they will treat you gently and be proud that you have come to them and far from thinking you pathetic, just the opposite, how brave you are. So, tomorrow all our positive thoughts, vibes, good wishes whatever you like to call them will be wending their way in your direction. We are all pulling for you and looking forward to your posting after the appointment to let us know how well it went. So no real advice for getting through the next few hours, you just have to get through it how best you can. And you will! :grouphug:
 
Thanks for all the support!

Well, I've just got back from seeing the hygienist(got my teeth cleaned in the hope that will help minimise risk of infection after the extractions) and it feels all too real now.

There's no point in even thinking about having lunch. I know I won't be able to eat a bite.

I don't even know if I can face dinner tonight to be honest. But I know I have to have something because it will be the last meal for quite a while I would have thought. I can't eat or drink anything after two in the morning, since they're putting me under.

Oh God, please let me be able to do this. I feel so stupid. Went to the shopping centre with my husband last night to try and take my mind off things, and ended up crying in the shop(just silent tears though, thank God).

I keep saying to myself "I can do this", but it feels like empty words.

My husband actually said last night that maybe he could stay with me until I'm under, but I'm scared that if he's with me I'll end up saying "Take me home NOW"

*:'(*:'(*:'(*:'(*:'(*:'(*:'(*:'(

Thanks again for all the support.

Will let you know how it went tomorrow.

[smiley=scared.gif][smiley=scared.gif][smiley=scared.gif][smiley=scared.gif][smiley=scared.gif][smiley=scared.gif][smiley=scared.gif]

Katx
 
My husband actually said last night that maybe he could stay with me until I'm under, but I'm scared that if he's with me I'll end up saying "Take me home NOW"

This is just a thought, don't do this if it doesn't feel right to you.

What if you talk about this with your husband? You'll make a deal that he can come with you but he won't take you home before the extractions are done, no matter what you say. You obviously want to get rid of your wizzies, and if you end up cancelling at the last moment, you'll regret it later and then you'll have to get ready another time... So even if you panic and feel you just want to get away from the situation, deep down in your heart you want the operation done. Right? And in the extremely unlikely situation that the surgeon would do something really awful (you probably aren't in the mood for examples now!) your husband would take you home. I suppose you can trust your husband enough to agree that he can come with you and do whatever he thinks is in your best interest - even if that included doing opposite to what the panicky Kat says. He loves you, he wouldn't let anything bad happen to you. Tell him about your concerns, and take him with you to the operation. So you can get the comfort of having your husband with you, but without the fear that you'd tell him to take you home and regret it later.

You have a fantastic husband! *here I would put a "green with envy" smiley if there was one - I'm single*
 
Aww, thanks FinnishGirl, that was a lovely thing to say! Also made me smile, which can't be bad;).

Katx
 
Best of luck today Kat! 8-) I'll be sending you lots of well-wishes and thinking of you - I'm sure things will be just fine!!!!

After you've had a chance to take a big sigh of relief and spoil yourself a bit for going through with it, please come back and let us know how you are doing!!! :)

:grouphug:
 
Thanks takingflight!

We'll have to leave the house in about half an hour; I feel strangely calm(I'm sure that's not going to last!).

Last night I fell asleep in front of the TV, I was so exhausted. I guess all the worrying and lack of sleep finally caught up with me and would you believe it; I actually slept better than I had done for the past week or so.

Well, I'm sure I'm going to start panicking again once I get into that chair, but at least it'll be too late to do anything about it by then.

Thanks so much again for all your support - I am so glad I found this board!

I will definitely let you know how it went.

Speak soon(I hope, lol)[smiley=sick.gif]

Katx
 
Good Luck today Kat...I am sure everything will be just fine[smiley=hugging.gif] It is odd, we spend so much time worrying, but when my surgery day arrived, I was much calmer than the days leading up to the appointment.;)
 
I hope everything went well today....Your in my thoughts.
 
Back
Top