• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting used to chewing on implant

F

fortcon

Hi all,
Hoping someone can ease my anxiety.
Just had the crown placed on my implant today.
I’ve had a few meals since and I’m finding the sensation of chewing on it strange. (It’s an upper 2nd premolar.) Is this normal and will it feel more normal over time?
Also, I know that it’ll take a bit to get used to the feeling a tooth there. But the outer ‘cusp’ feels long and I’m not sure if that’s just something I’ll get used to. I had the tooth pulled 6mths ago and prior to that I basically had half of a uncrowned RC’d tooth there for 8 years. So there wasn’t much of a tooth there for a while!

The implant doesn't have a periodontal membrane, so it feels different to chew on than a regular tooth, there's no slight "give" in the tooth when pressure is applied.
Having said that, it may well be that the crown needs a slight adjustment. I'd give it a couple more days and if still feels to high then contact your dentist.

Thanks, my bite doesn’t feel high, but the outer cusp just feels longer than my other teeth. I’ve got a cleaning on Monday, so I’ll mention it then if it still feels strange.

I have had three implants (with crowns placed) now. It has been over a year now and I am still getting used to them. I think the weirdest feeling for me is when you bite into something (one of mine is a front tooth) and I can’t feel the tooth but I can feel the gums against the food. It feels like there is a gap in a way. I also feel pressure sometimes. I am getting used to the two that are molars now.

The implant doesn't have a periodontal membrane, so it feels different to chew on than a regular tooth, there's no slight "give" in the tooth when pressure is applied.
Having said that, it may well be that the crown needs a slight adjustment. I'd give it a couple more days and if still feels to high then contact your dentist.

Do crowns interfere with the membrane flexing? Thanks!

It's only been a day, but I feel like I might be getting more used to the feeling of chewing on it.
I don't know if it's me being overly sensitive to this new tooth, but there's a part of the crown that feels a bit sharper, I think it may be the spot where the dentist adjusted the crown for my bite, would the dentist be able to smooth it out? It's along the outside of the tooth if that makes any sense.

It's only been a day, but I feel like I might be getting more used to the feeling of chewing on it.
I don't know if it's me being overly sensitive to this new tooth, but there's a part of the crown that feels a bit sharper, I think it may be the spot where the dentist adjusted the crown for my bite, would the dentist be able to smooth it out? It's along the outside of the tooth if that makes any sense.

Yes that's an easy and quick job to do.

Back