• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gold crown ? And gingival margins?

R

ravibikkann

My second molar (upper) was RTC 10 years ago and no crown was fitted. The dentist was very good and had said he would save as much structure as possible. A year after the RTC another dentist had drilled and filled in between the first molar and second molar. Now this filling has come off. When I showed this to the dentist here in UK he said the RTC tooth has cracked. I explained that the filling between the first and second molar has come off. I have no pain and the RTC tooth original filling is fine. Dentist is saying we should go for crown for the second molar. Not sure if that is best choice given that only the filing between first and second has come off. When asked which crown he suggested metal crown. I asked about gold crown , he said it is not necessory, why you want gold? Is it better to ask for gold onlay? What is the best material. It is covered under NHS , I did offer to pay private if that is better,are there any?
Not sure what should happen to first molar since the filling has come off that was between first and second molar, which actually never allowed me to floss.
Also can a gold crown be placed well above gingival margin, say 3 mm above? I want to save as much original tooth structure And want to avoid subgingival margin. Is crownlay an option ?

It's difficult to day whether an onlay is an option or not without looking at the tooth. But a gold crown is the gold standard (pun intended) when it comes to full coverage restorations. Zirconia is another option that is tooth colored and requires minimal tooth preparation.

It's difficult to day whether an onlay is an option or not without looking at the tooth. But a gold crown is the gold standard (pun intended) when it comes to full coverage restorations. Zirconia is another option that is tooth colored and requires minimal tooth preparation.

Thanks Decan,

The tooth is second molar and had RTC done a decade back and is in pretty good shape. What has come off is filling between this tooth and adjuscent tooth - yes a filling was placed in between that effectively joined the two.

Can gold crown be placed not all the way to gum but to stay clear of gum by say 2-3 mm. The tooth has full enamel and height so should be able to provide at least 5 to 6 mm ferrule with that margin. I just want to keep as much tooth as possible and also keep the margin above gum line.

Will zirconium allow more enamel and tooth to be retained than gold crown? Are they stronger than porcelien or the regular ceramic. I may go for Zirconium if they are better- they allow X-ray diagnostics also in future?

Gold can be kept well away from the gingival margin, it requires less tooth removal than any kind of porcelain including Zirconium, I don't understand your question about x-rays.

Zirconium is about as radio opaque as metal.

Back