• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gum recession on upper molar

Judythecat

Judythecat

Hello, I wonder if anyone can reassure me please? I had a checkup yesterday and all was fine - no decay, gums all zero - but my dentist mentioned some recession at one side of UL 6, which is roundabout where my neuralgia is worse. She said it was like a millimetre, and a tiny bit of root was exposed. I asked what had caused it and she said probably over-brushing.

My dentist was completely unconcerned other than it might be contributing to the neuralgia. I, however, now have a nightmare vision that the tooth is hanging out if its root is exposed, and might end up in my hot cross bun. If the recession is only on one bit (where it hits my cheek) how likely is the tooth to fall out? She would have said if it was, right?

I'm not a dentist but a tooth root is quite long, well about 2cm I think, well i am guessing anyway, so if yours is exposed by 1mm I think you've a way to go yet before it ruins your hot cross bun experience.

Hot cross buns are one of my all time favourite things, now I am hungry for them ?

I assume you're right handed? The upper left gets more of a bashing from over exuberant brushing than any other parts of your mouth and the first molar/second premolar are the bits that take the brunt of it due to the shape of the arch.

A tip an old dentist gave me once (Elephant man Bob for Enarete!) is to start brushing in a different quadrant of your mouth each time you brush, this tends to spread the wear out more evenly.

M&S Hot luxury cross buns lightly toasted with Lurpak butter... lovely :)

Thank you both for replying - it sounds like there's nothing to worry about then. Which of course I should have known, because my lovely dentist would have said I needed treatment, and didn't. I just over-think things. And yes, wise @Gordon I am right handed! I'll try that tip.

Hot cross buns are saving lockdown! I too like the M&S ones, toasted, but (sorry) with crunchy peanut butter. My partner won't eat anything with dried fruit in it, so he refuses all my favourites, Christmas cake, hot cross buns, mince pies etc. All the more for me!

Thank you both for replying - it sounds like there's nothing to worry about then. Which of course I should have known, because my lovely dentist would have said I needed treatment, and didn't. I just over-think things. And yes, wise @Gordon I am right handed! I'll try that tip.

Hot cross buns are saving lockdown! I too like the M&S ones, toasted, but (sorry) with crunchy peanut butter. My partner won't eat anything with dried fruit in it, so he refuses all my favourites, Christmas cake, hot cross buns, mince pies etc. All the more for me!
My other half thinks any foods with dried fruit are the work of the devil. I on the other hand have eaten my weight in hot cross buns over the past fortnight. With lots of butter and occasionally some cheese too! Yum.

Seeing as we've gone about a mile off topic already. Have you tried Clootie Dumpling? Fried or with custard...

I LOVE clootie dumpling! And Christmas pudding. It’s strange because I don’t really like fruit much - I would far rather eat broccoli than an apple - but if it’s dried and spiced I am there for it. Likewise I would never normally drink red wine, but heat it up and stick some cloves in it and I will happily drink it. (Preferably walking round a busy Christmas market - sob!)

Back