• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Had 5 teeth removed today and still scared!

E

EvaAfraid

I had a terrible experience with a root canal about 10 years ago. Long story short, I was being worked on by a student who could not finish the procedure after multiple visits over a month. He also couldn't get the novicane right so I was always in pain while he worked on me and I spent the time in between the visits in the most severe pain I've ever experienced. I guess the doctor who was suprivising was on vacation or something and I remember the receptionist actually yelling at the student saying it was not okay that I was coming back over and over in so much pain just for a root canal. In the end I just stopped showing up for the appointments and the root canal was never actually finished and filled.

Needless to say, I've avoided the dentist since then. I have a lot of issues with my teeth though, with some of them rotting and chipping away and occasionally I'm in a lot of pain. I had a really bad tooth infection a few years ago which caused me to start vomiting uncontrollably and when I went to the emergency room I was given some high strength antibiotics and was told to get my tooth taken care of but I never did.

I've had what I think was an abscess, with a bad taste in my mouth and occsional pain, for about a year. I finally got scared enough to make a dentist appointment and went in for it today. I figured they would look at my teeth, tell me what's going on, and we could create a plan. But instead the dentist told me there was a tooth that needed to come out today and four others that needed to come out along with it. 3 on my bottom right and 2 on my bottom left. He said we could do the right side today and the left later but I knew it would be a terrible experience so I decided to just get it over with and do all the teeth at once today.

I had a panic attack right away, especially when he was coming at me with the novicane. The dentist and his assistant were so kind and patient and understanding though. I was shaking and in tears the entire time and at one point I wanted to get up and leave but luckily my girlfriend was allowed to be with me during the procedure and she helped to calm me down. One of the teeth taken out had a huge infection right on it that looked like a placenta or something.

I've been home for around 9 hours now. I declined pain killers because I had a terrible experience with withdrawls from them when I had my botched root canal so I just have ibuprophen. The pain isn't too bad but I've had a little ice cream and some avocado shake and now I'm so afraid of dry socket. Since the holes are on both sides and on the bottom it was hard to keep the food away from them. The instruction sheet I was given said not to rinse my mouth until the 3rd day so I'm not sure how to keep my holes clean. The last thing I want is more pain or an infection.

I got so much done today and am proud of myself for seeing it through but I'm still dealing with a lot of fear in the recovery process. I'm worried I won't be back to my normal life for weeks and I'm so scared of an infection or dry socket. I'm doing my best to follow all of the I care instructions I was given but I'm still afraid!

I had a terrible experience with a root canal about 10 years ago. Long story short, I was being worked on by a student who could not finish the procedure after multiple visits over a month. He also couldn't get the novicane right so I was always in pain while he worked on me and I spent the time in between the visits in the most severe pain I've ever experienced. I guess the doctor who was suprivising was on vacation or something and I remember the receptionist actually yelling at the student saying it was not okay that I was coming back over and over in so much pain just for a root canal. In the end I just stopped showing up for the appointments and the root canal was never actually finished and filled.

Needless to say, I've avoided the dentist since then. I have a lot of issues with my teeth though, with some of them rotting and chipping away and occasionally I'm in a lot of pain. I had a really bad tooth infection a few years ago which caused me to start vomiting uncontrollably and when I went to the emergency room I was given some high strength antibiotics and was told to get my tooth taken care of but I never did.

I've had what I think was an abscess, with a bad taste in my mouth and occsional pain, for about a year. I finally got scared enough to make a dentist appointment and went in for it today. I figured they would look at my teeth, tell me what's going on, and we could create a plan. But instead the dentist told me there was a tooth that needed to come out today and four others that needed to come out along with it. 3 on my bottom right and 2 on my bottom left. He said we could do the right side today and the left later but I knew it would be a terrible experience so I decided to just get it over with and do all the teeth at once today.

I had a panic attack right away, especially when he was coming at me with the novicane. The dentist and his assistant were so kind and patient and understanding though. I was shaking and in tears the entire time and at one point I wanted to get up and leave but luckily my girlfriend was allowed to be with me during the procedure and she helped to calm me down. One of the teeth taken out had a huge infection right on it that looked like a placenta or something.

I've been home for around 9 hours now. I declined pain killers because I had a terrible experience with withdrawls from them when I had my botched root canal so I just have ibuprophen. The pain isn't too bad but I've had a little ice cream and some avocado shake and now I'm so afraid of dry socket. Since the holes are on both sides and on the bottom it was hard to keep the food away from them. The instruction sheet I was given said not to rinse my mouth until the 3rd day so I'm not sure how to keep my holes clean. The last thing I want is more pain or an infection.

I got so much done today and am proud of myself for seeing it through but I'm still dealing with a lot of fear in the recovery process. I'm worried I won't be back to my normal life for weeks and I'm so scared of an infection or dry socket. I'm doing my best to follow all of the I care instructions I was given but I'm still afraid!
Well done for going to your first appointment in the first place. That really is a great first step and incredibly brave.
Like you I have had five teeth extracted recently, but I'm about two weeks further on.
I completely understand where you are coming from with extractions on both sides, I was completely freaking out when I first had the extractions so I feel you're pain.
For the first few days I made sure to only eat complete liquids so no bits could get stuck and then slowly moved up to something resembling a solid, once I could rinse, although I'm still being careful what I eat until the holes are completely healed.
I think that you have been incredibly brave to get all that done on your first appointment.
You should be proud of the huge accomplishment you have achieved. Well done and congratulations on already having a healthier mouth ???

What you did took a lot of guts and it’s no wonder you feel uneasy now. I am glad the pain isn’t too bad.

I understand the worry about keeping the holes clear. Keep following the directions you were given and when the dentist’s office opens after the weekend, give them a call to ask. They won’t be bothered at all to answer a question about taking care of the wounds.

:perfect::wow:Just a big wow.. at your bravery and making it through this procedure! I hope the recovery can be very quick and smooth. Sounds like you are in a very kind and competant place..

Back