• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Haven’t been to dentist in years

  • Thread starter Thread starter Beth1814
  • Start date Start date
B

Beth1814

Junior member
Joined
Mar 16, 2025
Messages
2
Location
Edmonton
I haven’t been to the dentist in years and years. I have a very bad mouth. Including two missing front teeth from gum disease. I am terrified that I’m going to get told off for not coming in sooner. Which makes me put it off. Which is stupid and I know is only making it worse. But it’s how my brain copes with it. I also was waiting for government dental coverage, which I am just about able to apply for, which terrifies me. Because it’s go time. I have a hard time communicating with medical professionals. And I’m rambling and not making sense probably. Basically I am hoping I don’t get told off for delaying. And hopefully I find a dentist that won’t force me to get work that’s not covered by the plan.
 
Hi Beth1814:welcome:
first of all, what you shared makes perfect sense and sounds very clear to me. You are worried about being told off for not coming in sooner and the fear of this is so strong that it further prevents you from going. This is a spiral that many people who are scared of the dentist experience. With that said, it sounds to me like you have been taking steps and that is great. Even being here is a good first step. I also see how communication with medical professionals may be difficult. Have you found a practice that seems to be good with nervous patients? If so, it may be helpful to send them an email and check waters to make sure they wouldn't judge you. What do you think?
 
Back
Top