• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Having 14 teeth removed on Friday need advice please!

L

Lovemy2kids

Hi! I’m getting 14 teeth removed. The top 4 and bottom 4. And 3 on each side. My doctor is doing my extractions on Friday. And I did my mold to get an immediate partial. I work in the public, how long does it take for the swelling to go down and will I be in a lot of pain? I’ve been making up excuses to not get the work done but I really want to feel confident and mouth not hurt 24/7. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

I got one of my upper molars extracted 5 days ago because it was abscessed. I'll be getting the rest of my upper teeth removed when I can afford it. My experience with extraction wasn't that bad at all.

The swelling the first hour was noticeable. It began going down pretty fast though and it was barely noticeable after the first day.

After the numbing wore off, there was some pain but definitely not anything bad. A day later, the pain was mostly gone.

The dentist usually prescribes painkillers in case you need them and you can use ice packs for swelling.

I hope things go well for you!

I got one of my upper molars extracted 5 days ago because it was abscessed. I'll be getting the rest of my upper teeth removed when I can afford it. My experience with extraction wasn't that bad at all.

The swelling the first hour was noticeable. It began going down pretty fast though and it was barely noticeable after the first day.

After the numbing wore off, there was some pain but definitely not anything bad. A day later, the pain was mostly gone.

The dentist usually prescribes painkillers in case you need them and you can use ice packs for swelling.

I hope things go well for you!

thank you for the advice!! Appreciate it! I’m super nervous!!

No problem! You can let your dentist know you're worried about pain and swelling, they should be able to help you with that. I was really nervous about the pain too and they were really understanding and prescribed me something strong just in case, but I never ended up needing it

Keep us updated on how everything goes!

I had all of my bottom teeth pulled in July. When I got home I was pretty swollen but nothing like I imagined. The next day the swelling was more noticeable to me, but I think if people did not know I had work done they wouldn’t have even known. As far as pain, I was barely in any at all. A little bit here and there but again nothing nearly as bad as i would have thought. Would I do it again? Without a doubt!! The anticipation was truly worse than the whole procedure and recovery. Oh and I have a full bottom denture.

No problem! You can let your dentist know you're worried about pain and swelling, they should be able to help you with that. I was really nervous about the pain too and they were really understanding and prescribed me something strong just in case, but I never ended up needing it

Keep us updated on how everything goes!

Thank you, I will keep you updated!!!!

I had all of my bottom teeth pulled in July. When I got home I was pretty swollen but nothing like I imagined. The next day the swelling was more noticeable to me, but I think if people did not know I had work done they wouldn’t have even known. As far as pain, I was barely in any at all. A little bit here and there but again nothing nearly as bad as i would have thought. Would I do it again? Without a doubt!! The anticipation was truly worse than the whole procedure and recovery. Oh and I have a full bottom denture.

Thanks for your response!!!! If you don’t mind me asking, what type of denture do you have?
Since you had this done in July, do you feel back to normal or are you still adjusting?
This is all so new but I have days were I feel ready then I talk myself out of it!!! I know I’m overthinking this all, but I know in my head it’s for The best.

Thanks for your response!!!! If you don’t mind me asking, what type of denture do you have?
Since you had this done in July, do you feel back to normal or are you still adjusting?
This is all so new but I have days were I feel ready then I talk myself out of it!!! I know I’m overthinking this all, but I know in my head it’s for The best.

I got an immediate denture that day. Honestly once the novacaine wore off I was talking totally fine. My biggest fear was not being able to talk but you’d never know I had something foreign in my mouth. I’ve healed beautifully. I’ve gone back every two weeks for adjustments because it does get loose but once the stitches were out I was able to use adhesive and it’s pretty good. Eating was a bit rough but little by little you get used to it. Now I eat the way I always did just no sticky stuff. I do plan on getting a permanent but not for a few months. You will not regret it

I got an immediate denture that day. Honestly once the novacaine wore off I was talking totally fine. My biggest fear was not being able to talk but you’d never know I had something foreign in my mouth. I’ve healed beautifully. I’ve gone back every two weeks for adjustments because it does get loose but once the stitches were out I was able to use adhesive and it’s pretty good. Eating was a bit rough but little by little you get used to it. Now I eat the way I always did just no sticky stuff. I do plan on getting a permanent but not for a few months. You will not regret it

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate your comments and advice! I go on Friday. I will keep you posted oh how I do!!! It was a relief to hear you say that you said you would never know I had something foreign in my mouth.

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate your comments and advice! I go on Friday. I will keep you posted oh how I do!!! It was a relief to hear you say that you said you would never know I had something foreign in my mouth.
When I went In the next day he could not believe how good I was talking.

I did it, I got my wisdom teeth and 8 other teeth extracted yesterday, they used Gas sedation, none of my teeth gave up a fight except one wisdom tooth. I feel okay, but Did any of you have excess saliva?! I’m a tad bit swollen but is the excess saliva normal, and how long does it last?

I did it, I got my wisdom teeth and 8 other teeth extracted yesterday, they used Gas sedation, none of my teeth gave up a fight except one wisdom tooth. I feel okay, but Did any of you have excess saliva?! I’m a tad bit swollen but is the excess saliva normal, and how long does it last?

congrats on coming out the other side! i had a similar number of teeth extracted in june and an immediate partial placed. i drooled like a fountain that first day and for maybe a few days after, but it definitely goes away.

congrats on coming out the other side! i had a similar number of teeth extracted in june and an immediate partial placed. i drooled like a fountain that first day and for maybe a few days after, but it definitely goes away.

Thank you!!! I’m pretty excited I feel great minus the drooling!! I’m so glad to know it goes away!!! How have you adjusted to this change??

Thank you!!! I’m pretty excited I feel great minus the drooling!! I’m so glad to know it goes away!!! How have you adjusted to this change??

i've adjusted way better and quicker than i expected. i don't love being a denture wearer at 40 and i don't love taking out my teeth and putting them in a cup at night, but my dentures look so much better than my real teeth did that i will gladly deal with it.

within a few days i was eating fairly substantial but soft things like rice, mac 'n cheese, even grilled cheese (soaked in tomato soup). i eat pretty normal things now, but since most of my extractions were my front teeth, i can't bite off anything hard with my partials. if i'm careful, i can eat a burrito or a burger. no really sticky stuff, of course. even really doughy bread will sometimes pull my tops out of place.

speedy healing and adjusting to you!

i've adjusted way better and quicker than i expected. i don't love being a denture wearer at 40 and i don't love taking out my teeth and putting them in a cup at night, but my dentures look so much better than my real teeth did that i will gladly deal with it.

within a few days i was eating fairly substantial but soft things like rice, mac 'n cheese, even grilled cheese (soaked in tomato soup). i eat pretty normal things now, but since most of my extractions were my front teeth, i can't bite off anything hard with my partials. if i'm careful, i can eat a burrito or a burger. no really sticky stuff, of course. even really doughy bread will sometimes pull my tops out of place.

speedy healing and adjusting to you!

So happy to hear this. I had a positive experience like you and it’s important for others to hear success stories like ours!

So happy to hear this. I had a positive experience like you and it’s important for others to hear success stories like ours!
I have a question, do you guys sleep with your partials on at night?? My dentist told me to wear them at night while I’m healing, so I’ve soaked them in cleaner, any recommendations on what’s a good cleaner too, then brush my remaining teeth and go to bed. Sorry for all the questions! I appreciate you guys support!

I have a question, do you guys sleep with your partials on at night?? My dentist told me to wear them at night while I’m healing, so I’ve soaked them in cleaner, any recommendations on what’s a good cleaner too, then brush my remaining teeth and go to bed. Sorry for all the questions! I appreciate you guys support!

my dentist told me to sleep in my partials only on the first night after my extractions, so i've been taking them out at night. she gave me samples of polident so that's what i've been soaking my dentures in (i use the overnight formula). a couple of days ago i almost forgot to put my teeth in before leaving the house, have you done that yet? :giggle:

my dentist told me to sleep in my partials only on the first night after my extractions, so i've been taking them out at night. she gave me samples of polident so that's what i've been soaking my dentures in (i use the overnight formula). a couple of days ago i almost forgot to put my teeth in before leaving the house, have you done that yet? :giggle:

oh my I have done this too, I have left in hurry from the house and end up somewhere like daycare realizing this and try to keep my mouth as shut as I can .. its so hard.. aghhhh... and don't sleep in either..

Back