• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Healing cap aftercare

S

Scaredbutready

Hi all,
I’m in the process of three implants. I had a sinus lift/bone grafting back in April and one implant was placed at that time. It was sewn up under the gums. Yesterday, I had it exposed and I believe a healing cap was put on. Can anyone else who’s had it done this way tell me how you kept it clean? I asked many questions about cleaning, diet restrictions etc and they were acting like the procedure was not a big deal at all and to carry on as normal. I have some pain today, could just be the stitches etc. can anyone tell me if they stuck to a soft food diet, brushed the actual cap etc? I follow up with my regular dentist in two weeks for the next steps. Thanks in advance, I’m just incredibly anxious for this to heal well and work!

I have had healing caps both right after implant placement and had one placed after uncovering an implant.

You only have to do the soft foods diet for a few days then eat as normal. Just avoid chewing directly on the cap if you eat something crunchy.

It is normal to be sore for a few days or so, especially with stitches.

Best advice I got for cleaning is to get a baby toothbrush and brush it when you brush your teeth. I used an interdental brush (sometimes called teepee brushes) to clean around the edges near the gums also. Just be gentle.

Thank you once again @MountainMama! that helps so much. I actually have these tiny little brushes I bought for implants and will use those on the cap and around. Just ready for these stitches to be gone. I appreciate your time and I’m sure as my steps in the process continue I’ll have more questions! So reassuring to talk with others Who’ve been thru it. Did you find the abutment/crown procedure painful?

@Scaredbutready the abutment and crown process don‘t hurt. They mostly just feel weird, because they screw it in and you can tell what they are doing but don’t feel anything but tugging.

@MountainMama hi! Sorry for using this thread but I've the same issues. I'm post-op day 6, stage 1 and 2 was done together, and there is some redness around the healing cap gum. I didn't brush the gum with toothbrush since the op day. I've only been using interdental brush to clean the top of the healing cap and the stitches.

Dentist didn't told me any aftercare instructions. Can I check do I need to brush the gum and implant site now? I think it'll bleed with the inflammation. I still have my stitches on. Due to remove it in two days time.

@MountainMama hi! Sorry for using this thread but I've the same issues. I'm post-op day 6, stage 1 and 2 was done together, and there is some redness around the healing cap gum. I didn't brush the gum with toothbrush since the op day. I've only been using interdental brush to clean the top of the healing cap and the stitches.

Dentist didn't told me any aftercare instructions. Can I check do I need to brush the gum and implant site now? I think it'll bleed with the inflammation. I still have my stitches on. Due to remove it in two days time.
I had soreness and a little redness from the stitches. I just brushed the top and the part I could see around the sides of the healing cap…very gently. Once the stitches were gone (mine were dissolving ones), I was a little more thorough about brushing all around the edges and the top. The healing cap does a good job of protecting the implant so as long as you keep clean around it, you are fine. My oral surgeon said to use chlorhexidine on a q-tip to clean around it if it got irritated feeling in the first week and was too sore to brush.
Good luck! After the implant is placed the worst is over!

Back