G
Gilbo
Well-known member
- Joined
- Feb 1, 2020
- Messages
- 107
- Location
- norwich, norfolk, uk
Hi. Following a particularly violent extraction last week, of a broken, root canalled, third molar, which was then cut into 4 and gum cut to enable root removal and then stitched back up again, I am wondering what to do now? The extraction was Tuesday and now, six days later, I am still in intense pain, with no sign of it stopping or even beginning to recover! I would describe the pain as a continuous 'ringing' sensation, covering the whole left side of my mouth. The lovely big blood clot at the extraction site seems to have gone and is now just left with a white space, with maybe bits of bone and bright red bits (blood?) Having read on here about dry socket though, I'm sure I can't have that, as I don't have any bad smells coming out of my mouth and the painkillers that I'm taking (Co-Codamol, Ibuprofen), do eventually help a bit. My partner and I both have urgent appointments Monday and Tuesday elsewhere, so must go to those, with no chance of seeing a dentist until Wednesday at the earliest anyway. Am I just being a wimp? As I see people on here with really bad pain too. My head was thrown about in all directions and there was a load of drilling and other pulling about going on for half and hour, so is this six days still a little too early to expect any reduction of pain yet? Any help will be gratefully received, thank you!

I feel better now, although the pain is still mostly there, albeit now in a clove-flavoured variety! (She said this packing will slowly drop out over the coming days, hence the occasional burst of 'clove' and Christmassy 'mulled wine' tastes!) None of the 'instant relief' that Mike spoke of, but that's probably due to the infection. I'm also on 5 days worth (15 big tablets) of 400mg of Metronidazole, which I really hope works. It usually does, so fingers crossed. I'm just off to take yet another dose of painkillers, as the last one has worn off! I've found that I can't really take any more Ibuprofen, as it makes my heartbeat jump all over the place and is very disconcerting, especially as it was the best one to deal with the pain. so it's Co-Codamol and Aspirin all the way. I know you shouldn't take aspirin either, but it's the next best thing and doesn't cause me any problems.




