• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hi guys newbie here

Roxy2015

Roxy2015

Hey guys, I’m brand new ?

The reason I’ve joined is because I’m terrified of dentists what’s new, but desperate to finally get my teeth sorted once and for all.

Unfortunately, I took after my father who had the words worst teeth and had them all extracted at the age of 19. However being a girl I’ve always tried to do the very best with my teeth but to be honest it’s a losing battle. I had braces at the age of 15 and then again at 40, I’ve had so many teeth out over the years, and once I had dry socket, probably the worst pain in my life. I’m now 50 and my teeth are as bad as ever and have all moved yet again, my gums are terrible. I also had anaemia for over 30 years, so severe that I had to have iron infusions, and now my gums bleed and are swollen and two teeth are wobbly.

So I’m going to bite the bullet and look into dentures certainly for my top teeth and maybe bottom too. I’m probably going to go private because I need my teeth to look good for once in my life. Has anyone got any tips for me, is there a rough idea how much this may cost. How much time should I take off work, by the way at work I have to talk a lot, on the phones.. thanks for any advice you can give me ? it’s great to be here x

Last edited:
I don’t have any advice, but I certainly wish you well.

I think you’re going to do great.

Keep us posted.

Hi Roxy2015, sorry to read about your desperation, your post sounds like you have lost hope. The part with anaemia sounds quite scary and not easy to deal with and I cannot even imagine how painful the dry socket must have been.

Now I didn't understand if your teeth are beyond saving or if you wish to get dentures, but assume that you do not have consulted this with a dentist yet, did you? The general advice is always to try to save any teeth that can be saved and keep them for as long as possible.

The journey is always the same when it comes to dental fear, regardless of what your wishes are: at the beginning you need a kind caring dentist who takes care of your anxiety to make you be able to cope with a treatment. So the first step would be to make some research (there is a great recommendation section here on the forum) and find a practice that you feel you would like to be treated at. Chose carefully - no matter if you get dentures or something else, you need a kind dental team that supports you. So finding a good practice and getting in touch with them would be the best idea. You can then either see them for an initial chat or if your anxiety allows it, to get an exam and an assessment of what needs to get done and what your options are. From there you can take care of anything else.

I would encourage you not to skip this point. Even with dentures you will have to see a dentist regularly and have the confidence to come back if you have questions or worries so having a trusted dental place is the most important thing.

All the best wishes and keep us posted.

Thanks so much, i have given up hope with my Upper teeth to be honest, i feel like ive been through so much with them. They have always been ugly teeth, but now as they have moved yet again, they look hideous, with gaps. My canine tooth wont last much longer which means, i must sort this out soon. I cant smile with my lips closed as my teeth are so big and stick out a bit, which means they are on full show all the time, so i get shy and im constantly putting my hand in fromt of my mouth.

Also i have a butterfly bridge ( i think its called ) in the right hand side which is being held in place by front tooth and third tooth, however that makes my right front tooth look discoloured because of the putty or whatever it is behind. I think my back teeth arent too bad, so im not sure if they can be saved and thankfully my bottom teeth are fine apart from one which i think may need to be extracted. Its just the top ones really and at 50 i cant bare the thought of braces yet again, and i dont think my gums are up to it anyway

your right i havent been to a dentist yet, but i have seen one locally which has wonderful reviews though it is private, so im very worried about the prices. Im going to try to see them in the next few weeks. Thankfully my father will be able to lend me money for whatever the outcome.,

thank you so much again x

Last edited:
Roxy,

Sorry to hear what you are going through you are in the right place nd in the company of alot of people who have had similiar experiences, I sooo understand the putting your hand in front of your mouth thing.. I used to do that all the time before I got my bottom partial. my teeth were awful and I would walk into my new dentist office (was 17 yrs ago) with my hands covering and she would say.. "you shouldn't have to cover your beautiful smile".. and I would think.. 'you are crazy this is definately not beautiful" but. she meant the real smile of course not my bad teeth. and she helped me gain courage to do the bottom dentures because I couldn't afford a bridge and needed something .. well.. I so agree with Enerate that the first step is finding a dentist you trust and like and can feel comfortable with. Then they can give you a plan and you will get more answers and take things step by step. And we are all here to help get you through in the meantime as you process through this!

Roxy,

Sorry to hear what you are going through you are in the right place nd in the company of alot of people who have had similiar experiences, I sooo understand the putting your hand in front of your mouth thing.. I used to do that all the time before I got my bottom partial. my teeth were awful and I would walk into my new dentist office (was 17 yrs ago) with my hands covering and she would say.. "you shouldn't have to cover your beautiful smile".. and I would think.. 'you are crazy this is definately not beautiful" but. she meant the real smile of course not my bad teeth. and she helped me gain courage to do the bottom dentures because I couldn't afford a bridge and needed something .. well.. I so agree with Enerate that the first step is finding a dentist you trust and like and can feel comfortable with. Then they can give you a plan and you will get more answers and take things step by step. And we are all here to help get you through in the meantime as you process through this!

Oh wow thank you, you brought tears to my eyes. Everyone said i have a lovely smile, but i just dont anymore and i hate that, and i am a smiley person so its sad. Thank you so much again, and i will pluck up the courage and see that dentist and see how i get on.. thanks so much

Hey Roxy,

I'm just here wishing you all the best. Very well done for making the decision to get your teeth sorted - it may be a long process (I don't know about dentures but there may be multiple appointments) but you can SO do this - with all our support! :)

Take it a step at a time and be confident - there are dentists out there who are amazing with nervous patients it's just a matter of finding them!

I'm sure you'll be able to feel proud of your teeth at some point, then you can show off to everyone at work and smile and talk as much as you like!

Keep going , you've made the first step coming on here!

Bear hugs,

HM

:bear::bear::bear::bear:

Hey Roxy,

I'm just here wishing you all the best. Very well done for making the decision to get your teeth sorted - it may be a long process (I don't know about dentures but there may be multiple appointments) but you can SO do this - with all our support! :)

Take it a step at a time and be confident - there are dentists out there who are amazing with nervous patients it's just a matter of finding them!

I'm sure you'll be able to feel proud of your teeth at some point, then you can show off to everyone at work and smile and talk as much as you like!

Keep going , you've made the first step coming on here!
:)
Bear hugs,

HM

:bear::bear::bear::bear:

Thanks so so much for your positive vibes, it really means a lot :)

your right i havent been to a dentist yet, but i have seen one locally which has wonderful reviews though it is private, so im very worried about the prices.

Glad to hear that you have found a good place and also that your father can help you. Do not forget that the first thing that happens is a consultation and an exam. Try to focus on this whenever the money worry comes. It's always the best to take just one step at a time.

All the best wishes and keep keeping us posted:)

Back