• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hi new here and petrified

  • Thread starter Thread starter Squiggle
  • Start date Start date
S

Squiggle

Junior member
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
1
I am only 24 but i have holes in my front 2 teeth and 3 other broken teeth. I brush daily and don't drink fizzy drinks or have much sugary food, i am so upset that my teeth are falling apart.
My first experience of a dentist was age 4 and i was left alone with him, he was drunk and fell asleep on my face, suffocating me, i was only saved because he collapsed onto the floor making enough noise for someone to come in.
I then had 3 wisdom teeth taken out 5 years ago and the dentist didn't numb me properly and didn't believe me when i told her i could feel eveything.

I have been searching for a nhs dentist for the last 3 years for my children the oldest being 6 and who have never seen a dentist before and i have only just managed to find one and being brave i picked up a registration form for all of us (yet to fill mine in!), but i am just so scared of going to the dentist again, i have been in pain with my teeth for the last 6 months but everytime i imagine being in the dentists chair i have a panic attack.
I'm getting married in May next year and want to be able to smile properly for the first time in years but i just don't know how i can *:'(
 
Hello,

I'm in the UK (Glasgow), and am just at the tail end of my treatment. It was ages since I last saw a dentist, and i was worried they would judge me, didn't think I would even get into the chair.

My very first appointment, they were so nice, didn't say anything about the state of my teeth - just sort of went into work mode.

They allowed me to have my treatment gradually, so it's taken six months (needed a lot doing), but it's been at a pace that I was comfortable with.

Let the dentist know you are nervous, and you will find they will go out of their way to make you at ease. Mine always encorages me, throughout any procedure, stops if i start panicking, and then resumes when I'm ready.
 
Hello Squiggle,
Firt of all [smiley=welcome.gif] to our online community here. You have certainly come to the right place! And congratulations on your upcoming marriage!!

I live in the US and your story really touches my heart as, like you, I had some really traumatic childhood dental experiences. In the US, we do not have universal health care. Our health care system operates through a wide array of insurance programs which many people belong to through their employers. This is both a blessing and a curse. I was sent to a couple of horrible dentists because they were on my parents insurance plan and therefore did not cost them much. These experiences left me so intensely terrified of dentists, I simply did not go for nearly a decade.
It wasnt until I married my husband 10 months ago that I ended up being referred to a truly wonderful dentist. I have written in some detail of my experiences in previous posts.
Know that you are among friends here and I wish you all the very best in your dental journey
:)
 
Hey squiggle!

I think all of us can sympathise with how you are feeling. You have done really well making the steps that you have! Don't stop now. I too had panics thinking about the dentist and burst into tears going into his room (still do sometimes) but I am so glad I pushed myself (and keep on pushing myself). Like you I want to smile without being paranoid and now I am on the way to being able to do that, it is a great feeling.
My advice would be to talk to your dentist be it on the phone, over email or face to face. Explain your fears to them and see if you feel comfortable with their reaction.
Toothache is so miserable, I lived with it too long and I wish I hadn't.

You can do this!!

Take care and let us know what happens!
 
Just wanted to say understand every word you say. You've had horrible childhood experience but the good thing is that doesn't mean that you will have bad adult experiences as well!

You get to that dentist and fingers crossed they will be great, you will proud of yourself and you will have lovely teeth when you get married next year.

Good luck and keep updating. If you're having a bad day just post or read others posts - its kept me going
 
Just wanted to second what Jen Jen said. One of the biggest lessons I have learned on my dental journey is that the past does not predict the future. Talking to the dentist, especially before any treatment, can make a world of difference.
We're all rooting for you!
 
Back
Top