• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hit in mouth now bleeding gums

G

graciebeth_24

Hi, was just wondering if there is a correlation. My top gums don’t normally bleed at all when I bleed it’s on my bottoms, but I got hit in the mouth today, headbutted to be precise by a child that I was working with (I’m a behavior therapist) and it really hurt my teeth on top when it happened. I almost felt like it jolted them a bit. It left some redness on my lip too. But tonight when I brushed my teeth I noticed some bleeding around my top front teeth which was where I was hit, just in that area specifically. Is that from being hit in the mouth? Should I do anything specifically? I just wondered if there was a correlation. Thanks.

Also let me just go ahead and say it, I am terrified of the dentist. When I was younger and went every 6 months, the dentist and particularly the mean hygienists would be mean to me if I got a cavity, or almost did. But then for some horribly dumb reason I decided it would be okay for me to go with my grandma to have 8 teeth removed from periodontal disease. I was also there when she got the horrible diagnosis. It was bad enough listening to that. Then when I watched her get them pulled, ya know, trying to be supportive, it was the most horrifying thing I have ever watched. I can see it now. I immediately went and bought the most expensive toothbrush in the dental office, and went home and started flossing and using that particular brush every day. I have a permanent retainer in across my bottom teeth in front, so I’ve never been able to floss there without a water flosser, but I forced some kinda pick through it and ever since there has been a crack. My teeth also shifted somehow and so for about 2 years I have been terrified to go to the dentist because I don’t want to hear what they told her and I am scared of periodontal disease. I never had any symptoms until that day. Oh yes, and she’s 75 and smoked since she was 13. I know it doesn’t make sense but I’m horrified of dentists even more now. Please a dentist speak to my fears about this and tell me they are irrational and that there is nothing wrong with my teeth. It has literally been since that day.

It's very likely to have been the trauma that's causing your gums to bleed a bit. If it keeps up for more than a couple more days then it would be worth seeing a dentist.

Heavy smokers get a lot more periodontal problems as I'm sure you know.

Back