• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long after fillings should tooth be sensitive?

U

underwaterbasket

4 weeks ago I got 3 medium sized silver fillings on my back molars. The one that hurts is a 3 surface filling that was replacing decay under a tiny old filling. A week later, I had to go back and have the bite adjusted (it took 10 minutes, it was super duper high!) because I had pain eating and couldn't even close my mouth.

Today, 3 weeks later, that tooth is still really cold sensitive! it is a tiny bit hot sensitive to boiling water but not painful or lingering at all. I get a sharp and very immediate cold sensitive reaction to cold water and food that disappears within 3 seconds.

Should my tooth still be so cold sensitive? I can't make it back to the dentist for 2+ weeks because I'm on vacation, and the dentist terrifies me so much I get so nervous.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not a dentist, but from my own experience, my dentist said that fillings could be sensitive for a few weeks. Bigger, deeper fillings tend to be sensitive for longer I think. The fact that your sensitivity only lasts a few seconds is a good sign - it's a sign that the nerve of the tooth has been irritated, but it's reversible and should settle down in time.

It doesn't sound outside what could be normal (though I'm not a dentist). With that said, when I've had sensitivity like that, I find that being really careful not to irritate it (avoid cold, hot, chewing on it) as much as possible often slows it to settle more quickly.

If you're worried, maybe you could call the dentist and ask her/him if it's something you should be worried about or if there's anything you can do.

Hi
it could could be that your tooth takes a bit longer to settle after the work was done.
However the short,sharp pain is often an indication that the bite might still be the cause of some discomfort.

by the time you get back from holidays and still have the same symptoms let your dentist check the bite again.

4 weeks ago I got 3 medium sized silver fillings on my back molars. The one that hurts is a 3 surface filling that was replacing decay under a tiny old filling. A week later, I had to go back and have the bite adjusted (it took 10 minutes, it was super duper high!) because I had pain eating and couldn't even close my mouth.

Today, 3 weeks later, that tooth is still really cold sensitive! it is a tiny bit hot sensitive to boiling water but not painful or lingering at all. I get a sharp and very immediate cold sensitive reaction to cold water and food that disappears within 3 seconds.

Should my tooth still be so cold sensitive? I can't make it back to the dentist for 2+ weeks because I'm on vacation, and the dentist terrifies me so much I get so nervous.

Thanks!

It still really hurts :( calling the dentist tomorrow I guess...

Back